Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Arrests of two Punjab-origin men in Canada sparks concerns over rising extortion networks

Darpan News Desk IANS, 15 May, 2026 06:03 PM
  • Arrests of two Punjab-origin men in Canada sparks concerns over rising extortion networks

The arrest of two Indian nationals of Punjab origin in Canada over a shooting incident linked to an alleged extortion racket targeting the South Asian community in British Columbia comes amid growing concern among law enforcement agencies over gang-driven criminal networks. 

According to a report in Khalsa Vox, vulnerable youth on study permits are allegedly being recruited by criminal syndicates for violent acts and intimidation campaigns, warned Canada’s financial intelligence agency, Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada (FINTRAC).

The advisory highlighted the involvement of the Bishnoi and Bambiha gangs in driving such activities, noting that the Canadian authorities formally designated the Bishnoi gang as a terrorist entity in 2024.

“The arrests followed an investigation by the Surrey Police Service into gunfire reported at a residence in Surrey during the early hours of April 22. Officers responding to the scene in the 13400 block of 87A Avenue found evidence of bullets striking both a home and a parked vehicle. No injuries were reported in the incident,” the Khalsa Vox report detailed.

“The probe was later transferred to the Extortion Response Team, which tracked down a suspect vehicle and carried out a coordinated raid on a Surrey property. The operation involved multiple agencies, including the Lower Mainland District Emergency Response Team and the Canada Border Services Agency,” it added.

The accused were identified by the police as 22-year-old Damanjeet Singh and 30-year-old Pardaman Singh, both foreign nationals residing in Canada. Authorities said that they face charges of firing a weapon into an occupied place and unlawful possession of restricted firearms.

“Investigators alleged that the accused were connected to a wider pattern of violent intimidation and extortion activities that have increasingly affected members of the South Asian diaspora across Canada. Both suspects remain in custody pending court proceedings scheduled later this month and in early June," the report noted.

Canadian officials suspect more people linked to organised criminal networks may be involved.

Recently, a Khlasa Vox report highlighted that the rising extortion threats faced by Punjabi builders in Canada's Vancouver signalled a clear warning that unchecked organised crime does not remain confined to a suburb or group but spreads across communities, erodes trust, stifles growth, and weakens the nation.

It mentioned that what began as isolated incidents in Surrey City, involving cash demands often communicated via phone calls, social media, or letters, has metastasised into a broader issue.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ethan Cairns

MORE India ARTICLES

Six Indian ships safely crossed Strait of Hormuz, India remains in touch with Iran: MEA

Six Indian ships safely crossed Strait of Hormuz, India remains in touch with Iran: MEA
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Thursday said that six Indian ships carrying products like LPG, LNG, have safely crossed the Strait of Hormuz so far as New Delhi remains in touch with Iran and other countries for safe transit of Indian ships amid the ongoing conflict in the region. 

Six Indian ships safely crossed Strait of Hormuz, India remains in touch with Iran: MEA

PM Modi chairs CCS meet to safeguard India from West Asia war fallout

PM Modi chairs CCS meet to safeguard India from West Asia war fallout
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday chaired a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) to review the evolving situation in West Asia and assess its potential impact on India's national interests. 

PM Modi chairs CCS meet to safeguard India from West Asia war fallout

UAE: Two Indians among four injured by missile debris in Dubai

UAE: Two Indians among four injured by missile debris in Dubai
Four people, including two Indian nationals, were injured after debris from a successful interception fell on residential houses in southern Dubai in UAE on Tuesday.

UAE: Two Indians among four injured by missile debris in Dubai

India’s energy supply fully secure, no need for national energy emergencies: Govt

India’s energy supply fully secure, no need for national energy emergencies: Govt
Petroleum and LPG supply situation is under control and there is no shortage of petrol, diesel or LPG anywhere in the country, while retail outlets have sufficient stocks and are dispensing fuel without interruption, according to the government. 

India’s energy supply fully secure, no need for national energy emergencies: Govt

India in touch with concerned countries for safe transit of ships through Strait of Hormuz: MEA

India in touch with concerned countries for safe transit of ships through Strait of Hormuz: MEA
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Friday that four ships laden with LPG have arrived in India after crossing the Strait of Hormuz and assured that New Delhi is in touch with concerned countries for the safe transit of its ships to meet its energy needs.

India in touch with concerned countries for safe transit of ships through Strait of Hormuz: MEA

UAE: Indian national among two killed by falling debris of intercepted missile

UAE: Indian national among two killed by falling debris of intercepted missile
One Indian national was killed and another injured as two people died and three suffered injuries after the debris of a ballistic missile fell in UAE's Abu Dhabi on Thursday following a successful interception by the country's air defence systems. 

UAE: Indian national among two killed by falling debris of intercepted missile