Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

Six held for abducting, killing minor in Delhi

Six held for abducting, killing minor in Delhi
The accused were identified as Ayush a.k.a Bhanja (19), a resident of Rohini, Siwansh a.k.a Shiva (19), a resident of Narela, Mohit a.k.a Lala, 21, a resident of Bankner and a 17-year-old boy.

Six held for abducting, killing minor in Delhi

Gujarat: Over 250 taken ill due to food poisoning at wedding, hospitalised

Gujarat: Over 250 taken ill due to food poisoning at wedding, hospitalised
At least 250 guests at a wedding ceremony were taken ill due to suspected food poisoning in Mathasuliya village in Gujarat's Gir Somnath district. After consuming buttermilk served at the event on Friday, people exhibited acute symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting, sources said.

Gujarat: Over 250 taken ill due to food poisoning at wedding, hospitalised

India's PM Narendra Modi seeks 3rd term in office during a 6 week election

India's PM Narendra Modi seeks 3rd term in office during a 6 week election
Millions of Indians began voting today in a six-week national election. While most polls predict a win for Modi, it remains unclear who will lead India if the opposition alliance wins the election. 

India's PM Narendra Modi seeks 3rd term in office during a 6 week election

10 killed as overloaded car rams into truck on Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway

10 killed as overloaded car rams into truck on Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway
In a tragic incident, 10 people were killed after an overloaded private vehicle rammed into a truck on the Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway on Wednesday. As per reports, an overspeeding Innova car, which was used as a shuttle vehicle to ferry passengers on the expressway, rammed into the truck. While eight people died on the spot, two others died during treatment.

10 killed as overloaded car rams into truck on Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway

Excise policy case: Delhi court extends Manish Sisodia's judicial custody till April 26

Excise policy case: Delhi court extends Manish Sisodia's judicial custody till April 26
A Delhi court on Thursday extended AAP leader and former deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia's judicial custody till April 26 in connection with a money laundering case related to the alleged excise policy scam. Sisodia was produced before Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of Rouse Avenue Court on the expiry of his previously extended judicial custody.

Excise policy case: Delhi court extends Manish Sisodia's judicial custody till April 26

From Bihar to Punjab, how labourers turned into sharpshooters for Lawrence Bishnoi syndicate

From Bihar to Punjab, how labourers turned into sharpshooters for Lawrence Bishnoi syndicate
Days after the arrest of two shooters, who allegedly opened fire at Bollywood actor Salman Khan's home, the sleuths of Delhi Police's Special Cell and the Crime Branch tracking the gang activities have revealed the new modus operandi of infamous Lawrence Bishnoi syndicate.

From Bihar to Punjab, how labourers turned into sharpshooters for Lawrence Bishnoi syndicate