Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

To boost farmers' income, Punjab bringing new policy on June 30

To boost farmers' income, Punjab bringing new policy on June 30
Presiding over the meeting regarding the demands of the Sanyukta Kisan Morcha here, Dhaliwal said the new agricultural policy is being prepared with the aim of boosting the income of the farmers.  Also, the government is making efforts to solve many problems of the farmers. 

To boost farmers' income, Punjab bringing new policy on June 30

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi
The accused identified as Yogesh alias Gogha, was previously involved in 16 criminal cases, including attempt to murder, robbery, dacoity,criminal intimidation and the Arms Act, registered in Delhi and its peripherals.

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife
The same single-judge bench had on May 11 directed the jail superintendent to provide Sisodia with a video conferencing facility to speak to his wife every alternate day between 3-4 p.m. as per prison rules, till the disposal of the bail plea.

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held
The mishap occurred at around 4:45 p.m. when the bus going from Nehru Place to Maharani Bagh lost control and rammed into multiple vehicles, causing the death of one person besides leaving five others injured, two of them critically. The identity of the deceased man is yet to be ascertained.

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony
Cheema also took on both the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and the Congress which have decided to boycott the inauguration ceremony. He said AAP was talking about the issue being one of respect for the President.

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament
Slamming the Union government for demeaning the position of President of the country by not inviting her to the inaugural ceremony of new Parliament, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Wednesday said he would not attend the function slated to be held on May 28. 

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament