Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

PM Modi reaches Chandigarh, pays last respects to Akali patriarch Badal

PM Modi reaches Chandigarh, pays last respects to Akali patriarch Badal
Throughout his political career, Badal, who had once compared Prime Minister Narendra Modi to former US President Abraham Lincoln, had always expressed "immense satisfaction and pride" over the strong and principled stand taken by his party "to save the beleaguered peasantry and the country".

PM Modi reaches Chandigarh, pays last respects to Akali patriarch Badal

Excise policy scam: Delhi court defers order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case

Excise policy scam: Delhi court defers order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case
Special judge M.K. Nagpal of the Rouse Avenue Court will now pronounce the order on April 28. On April 18, he had reserved its decision on Sisodia's bail plea. The court had, a day before, extended Sisodia's judicial custody by two weeks in the case.

Excise policy scam: Delhi court defers order on Sisodia's bail plea in ED case

Man held at IGI Airport with gold worth over Rs 54 lakh

Man held at IGI Airport with gold worth over Rs 54 lakh
A man was held at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport here for smuggling 1,010 gm gold worth Rs 54,25,205, an official said on Wednesday.  The accused couldn't produce any document for carrying such a large quantity of gold.

Man held at IGI Airport with gold worth over Rs 54 lakh

Life threat issued to Yogi, probe on

Life threat issued to Yogi, probe on
Just after receiving the message the police informed senior officials, including ADG, law and order and ADG, intelligence. Amid the Chief Minister's zero tolerance policy for crime and operation bulldozer to demolish criminals' ill-gotten property, the threat has come as a big challenge for security officials.

Life threat issued to Yogi, probe on

First batch of 278 Indians from war-torn Sudan leave for India under Operation 'Kaveri'

First batch of 278 Indians from war-torn Sudan leave for India under Operation 'Kaveri'
The evacuation process named Operation Kaveri, started on April 23, as apart from INS Sumedha, two Indian Air Force aircraft were sent to bring back Indian citizens stuck in Sudan's capital Khartoum, where civil war broke out on April 15 after its army and paramilitary forces clashed with each other. 

First batch of 278 Indians from war-torn Sudan leave for India under Operation 'Kaveri'

Delhi: Nigerians arrested for cheating over 700 victims on matrimonial website

Delhi: Nigerians arrested for cheating over 700 victims on matrimonial website
The accused were identified as Chife Monday (27) and Igwemma Jame (33), both presently residing in Delhi's Nihal Vihar area. Police said that the accused came to India in 2018 and were staying without valid documents.

Delhi: Nigerians arrested for cheating over 700 victims on matrimonial website