Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

SpiceJet bomb hoax: British Airways trainee made call to delay departure of friends' 'girlfriends'

SpiceJet bomb hoax: British Airways trainee made call to delay departure of friends' 'girlfriends'
The accused has been identified as Abhinav Prakash, a resident of Dwarka, working as a trainee ticketing agent of British Airways at DLF Qutub Plaza, Gurugram, for the last seven months. He reportedly made the hoax call to delay the departure of his friends' 'girlfriends' who were on board the said flight.

SpiceJet bomb hoax: British Airways trainee made call to delay departure of friends' 'girlfriends'

India has shown growth and resilience amid global headwinds: PM

India has shown growth and resilience amid global headwinds: PM
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Friday that India has shown growth and resilience amid global headwinds, as he urged the public and private sectors to seize opportunities arising as a result of emerging global environment, and to think out of the box. Modi said this during his interaction with economists prior to the forthcoming Union Budget to be presented on February 1.

India has shown growth and resilience amid global headwinds: PM

AI 'pee-gate': With accused Mishra now trying to shift blame to victim, the staring unanswered questions

AI 'pee-gate': With accused Mishra now trying to shift blame to victim, the staring unanswered questions
In the latest twist in the Air India urination incident, Shankar Mishra, accused of relieving himself on an elderly woman co-passenger while in a drunken state, on Friday sought to recant from any involvement in the episode and brazenly accused the victim of soiling her own seat. However, his attempt at evading any responsibility may not succeed as it leaves many questions unanswered.

AI 'pee-gate': With accused Mishra now trying to shift blame to victim, the staring unanswered questions

10 pilgrims killed in bus-truck accident in Maha, CM orders probe

10 pilgrims killed in bus-truck accident in Maha, CM orders probe
The bus, carrying around 45 passengers, reportedly crashed headlong into the truck coming from the opposite direction and then overturned, resulting in the huge tragedy, said the police. Chief Minister Eknath Shinde expressed shock and grief over the tragedy and announced a compensation of Rs.5-lakhs to the kin of all the deceased besides free medical treatment for all the injured victims.

10 pilgrims killed in bus-truck accident in Maha, CM orders probe

Beggar kills borrower's 2-yr-old daughter over Rs 500 in Gujarat

Beggar kills borrower's 2-yr-old daughter over Rs 500 in Gujarat
While scanning the CCTV camera, the police found Chagan carrying the little girl. Both the families live on a footpath. On Wednesday, police picked up the accused and inquired about the girl. The body was recovered on Wednesday and sent for post-mortem. The accused has been detained and will be arrested once his corona report is negative.

Beggar kills borrower's 2-yr-old daughter over Rs 500 in Gujarat

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school
The unknown caller first called shortly after 4 p.m. to warn that he had planted a 'time-bomb' in the school premises and abruptly disconnected. A few minutes later, he again called up and repeated the threat even as the panicked school authorities approached the police.

Mumbai Police nab Gujarat man for bomb threat to Ambani school