Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

Six held in Goa for duping US citizens

Six held in Goa for duping US citizens
The police conducted a raid at Chimbel and caught six accused persons red handed.  The accused persons are identified as Akash Hiteshbhai Pancholi, 28; Thremho Kechingba, 23; Sanam Ringsa Bathari, 23; Anand Sujeet Sengyung, 26; Lairim Monmohan Hojai, 19 and Hemring Sonai Girisa, 22. 

Six held in Goa for duping US citizens

Son kills mother for not giving money to buy mobile phone

Son kills mother for not giving money to buy mobile phone
Jintu Das was demanding money from his mother Renu Das for buying a new mobile phone.  According to police, when his demand was turned down, Jintu, aged around 20 years, hit his mother with an iron rod. She got severely injured and later succumbed to the injuries. 

Son kills mother for not giving money to buy mobile phone

BJP conspiring to kill Kejriwal, fearing defeat in MCD and Guj polls: Sisodia

BJP conspiring to kill Kejriwal, fearing defeat in MCD and Guj polls: Sisodia
The party said that the "utterly horrible" language used by the BJP leaders shows how much they hate Delhiites and how they command zero respect for the feelings of the people of Delhi. Through their open threats shot at the CM elected by the 2 crore people of Delhi, the BJP is disrespecting not only the mandate given to CM Arvind Kejriwal but is also damaging the social fabric of Delhi, it said.

BJP conspiring to kill Kejriwal, fearing defeat in MCD and Guj polls: Sisodia

Lawrence Bishnoi brought to Delhi in gangster-terror nexus case

Lawrence Bishnoi brought to Delhi in gangster-terror nexus case
The investigations have revealed that a terrorist, gangster, and drug smugglers syndicate led by Bishnoi was involved in many targeted killings and extortion from businessmen, professionals including doctors and this had created terror among the public at large.

Lawrence Bishnoi brought to Delhi in gangster-terror nexus case

Mehrauli Murder: Five sharp-edged knives recovered from Aaftab's house

Mehrauli Murder: Five sharp-edged knives recovered from Aaftab's house
Meanwhile, a polygraph test on Aaftab is presently underway at the forensic science laboratory (FSL) in Rohini. Official sources said that a pre-medical session to gain some preliminary information which will be later used to develop diagnostic questions, as well as a scientific session was conducted on Aaftab at the FSL office on Tuesday evening.

Mehrauli Murder: Five sharp-edged knives recovered from Aaftab's house

Five civilians, forest guard killed in police firing near Assam-Meghalaya border

Five civilians, forest guard killed in police firing near Assam-Meghalaya border
According to the Chief Minister, Thal Shadap, 45, Nikhasi Dhar, 65, and Sik Talang 55, died on the spot, while Tal Nartiang, 40 and Chirup Sumer, 40 succumbed to their injuries in the hospital. 

Five civilians, forest guard killed in police firing near Assam-Meghalaya border