Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Darpan News Desk IANS, 04 Dec, 2024 12:54 PM
  • Assam online trading scam: CBI arrests one more accused

Guwahati, Dec 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested one more accused in the online trading stock scam on Wednesday.

The arrested person is identified as Mintu Das alias Rohit Chandra Das. Sources said that the accused was involved in the huge stock trading scam that rocked Assam a couple of months ago.

He was taken into custody by the central probe agency from Guwahati.

Mintu Das owns a venture that was used in stock trading. However, it has been alleged that he lured people to invest through his firm on the pretext of much higher returns.

Earlier on Monday, a Court in Assam’s Dibrugarh district rejected the bail plea of controversial Assamese actress Sumi Borah, her husband Tarkik Borah and Bishal Phukan in the multi-crore online stock trading scam.

The key accused in the huge fraud Bishal Phukan and Tarkik Borah got bail from Gauhati High Court in the previous week as the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) could not file the chargesheet within 60 days of their arrest.

However, they could not walk out of the jail as several cases were pending against them.

Bishal Phukan allegedly used Sumi Borah’s network in the Assamese movie industry and he was successful in getting a handful of clients.

Bishal used to throw lavish parties for the artists and they were lured by expensive gifts to invest in the online trading business.

To recall, an online trading scam amounting to Rs. 2,200 crores was busted in Assam in September after a kingpin of this fraud, Bishal Phukan was arrested from his Dibrugarh residence.

Sumi Borah and her husband Tarkik Borah, accused in a trading scam, surrendered before the police later.

The state government had handed over the 41 cases related to the online trading scam to the Central Bureau of Investigation.

The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Assam Police handed over key information regarding the online trading scam to the CBI officials.

MORE India ARTICLES

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi
A woman, who used to get false gang-rape FIRs lodged against people to extort money and had been running a sextortion gang, was arrested in Delhi's Dwarka area, police said on Monday.  So far four such cases against various persons in Delhi and Haryana have surfaced.

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'
The order came after arguments at length before the district court of Mansa on the plea of the parents of Moosewala, who were successful in securing an ex-parte ad-interim order against Salim Sadruddin Moledina Merchant and Sulaiman Sadruddin Moledina Merchant, popularly known as Salim-Sulaiman.

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt
Asserting that the dairy sector had been strengthened in Punjab over the last few decades with the aim of increasing farm income through allied activities, Badal said then Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal even entrusted this responsibility to the state farmers' commission formed by him.

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30
The allegations against Sisodia is that liquor businessmen were allegedly given exemption of Rs 30 crore. The licence holders were allegedly given extension according to their own will. The policy rules were made by violating excise rules.

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust
According to the information received from the authority, the capacity of a tanker is about 10,000 litres. In such a situation, 45 lakh litres of water has been used so far. Work is still going on at many places. As thick layer of dust had accumulated all around, especially in the surrounding green belt, work for removing it from the trees and roads is in full swing. 

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note
The victim, Sachin Kashyap, was rushed to a district hospital, from where he was taken to a specialised medical centre in Bareilly.  His condition is said to be critical. SHO of Sadar Bazar, Amit Pandey said an FIR has been registered against the accused, Nadeem Khan, 27 and his brother Naeem, 29.

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note