Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Bagga gets reprieve from Punjab and Haryana High Court

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 May, 2022 12:24 PM
  • Bagga gets reprieve from Punjab and Haryana High Court

Chandigarh, May 10 (IANS) In a major reprieve to BJP leader Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Tuesday ordered continuation of his interim protection.

But Justice Anoop Chitkara questioned Punjab on filing of a habeas corpus plea in the case.

The case will come up for final hearing on July 5 after the summer break.

Additional Solicitor General Satya Pal Jain refuted the allegations of illegal detention and said not even a single officer was detained.

An affidavit in this regard has already been filed by the Delhi Police.

The High Court last week stayed the arrest of Bagga and directed the Punjab government to not take any coercive action against him until the next hearing which was scheduled for May 10.

The BJP leader moved the High Court while challenging a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against him by a Mohali Court on May 7.

The Punjab government, in its habeas plea, had moved two applications: one for making the Centre a party to the case and the second for direction to Delhi and Haryana Police to preserve the CCTV cameras.

The state had filed the habeas corpus petition against the Haryana government, alleging that 12 Punjab Police officers involved in the arrest of Bagga have been detained by Haryana police in Kurukshetra.

Punjab also sought the custody of Bagga, the national secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, who was held in connection with a case registered against him in Mohali last month.

In its plea, the Punjab government had alleged that when Punjab Police was taking Bagga to SAS Nagar (Mohali) to produce him before the area magistrate, the Haryana Police stopped them midway and brought them to the Kurukshetra where his custody was given to the Delhi Police.

Delhi Police, which reports to the Union Home Ministry, on May 6 took Bagga's custody and later released him after legal process.

It also lodged two cases against Punjab Police in connection with Bagga's arrest.

Punjab Police, while taking Bagga to Mohali from Delhi, was stopped midway by the Haryana Police after Delhi Police registered a kidnapping case on the complaint of father of the BJP leader.

MORE India ARTICLES

Snooping phones of CMs, politicos, judges threat to national security: Sibal

Snooping phones of CMs, politicos, judges threat to national security: Sibal
Upping the ante against the Modi government over the Pegasus phone tapping issue, senior Congress leader Kapil Sibal on Tuesday said that the alleged snooping on the phones of Chief Ministers, politicians, judges and people violates multiple laws of the country and is a threat to national security.

Snooping phones of CMs, politicos, judges threat to national security: Sibal

Amnesty involved in Pegasus plot, says Assam CM

Amnesty involved in Pegasus plot, says Assam CM
Claiming that Amnesty International is directly involved in the Pegasus "international conspiracy" to malign the Prime Minister Narendra Modi led government, Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Tuesday demanded that the Central government ban the activities of the organisation in India.

Amnesty involved in Pegasus plot, says Assam CM

Govt to bring out data policy for agriculture sector

Govt to bring out data policy for agriculture sector
The government is in the process of bringing out a data policy for the agriculture sector, the Parliament was informed on Tuesday.

Govt to bring out data policy for agriculture sector

Won't meet till Sidhu apologises: Amarinder Singh

Won't meet till Sidhu apologises: Amarinder Singh
 Toughening his stance, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Tuesday clarified that he won't meet new state party chief Navjot Singh Sidhu till he publicly apologises to him.

Won't meet till Sidhu apologises: Amarinder Singh

Red Fort to be shut from July 21 till I-Day: ASI

Red Fort to be shut from July 21 till I-Day: ASI
Delhi's iconic Red Fort will be shut for the public from July 21 till Independence Day celebrations on August 15 are over, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) said on Tuesday.

Red Fort to be shut from July 21 till I-Day: ASI

Virus is the real enemy, not govt: Hardeep Puri

Virus is the real enemy, not govt: Hardeep Puri
Taking part in a discussion in the Upper House, Puri said, "I have got an impression that the one realisation which has escaped many is that the enemy here is the virus, not the government, or the Chief Ministers, or the system. It is the virus which is the real enemy."

Virus is the real enemy, not govt: Hardeep Puri