Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Bagga gets reprieve from Punjab and Haryana High Court

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 May, 2022 12:24 PM
  • Bagga gets reprieve from Punjab and Haryana High Court

Chandigarh, May 10 (IANS) In a major reprieve to BJP leader Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga, the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Tuesday ordered continuation of his interim protection.

But Justice Anoop Chitkara questioned Punjab on filing of a habeas corpus plea in the case.

The case will come up for final hearing on July 5 after the summer break.

Additional Solicitor General Satya Pal Jain refuted the allegations of illegal detention and said not even a single officer was detained.

An affidavit in this regard has already been filed by the Delhi Police.

The High Court last week stayed the arrest of Bagga and directed the Punjab government to not take any coercive action against him until the next hearing which was scheduled for May 10.

The BJP leader moved the High Court while challenging a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against him by a Mohali Court on May 7.

The Punjab government, in its habeas plea, had moved two applications: one for making the Centre a party to the case and the second for direction to Delhi and Haryana Police to preserve the CCTV cameras.

The state had filed the habeas corpus petition against the Haryana government, alleging that 12 Punjab Police officers involved in the arrest of Bagga have been detained by Haryana police in Kurukshetra.

Punjab also sought the custody of Bagga, the national secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha, who was held in connection with a case registered against him in Mohali last month.

In its plea, the Punjab government had alleged that when Punjab Police was taking Bagga to SAS Nagar (Mohali) to produce him before the area magistrate, the Haryana Police stopped them midway and brought them to the Kurukshetra where his custody was given to the Delhi Police.

Delhi Police, which reports to the Union Home Ministry, on May 6 took Bagga's custody and later released him after legal process.

It also lodged two cases against Punjab Police in connection with Bagga's arrest.

Punjab Police, while taking Bagga to Mohali from Delhi, was stopped midway by the Haryana Police after Delhi Police registered a kidnapping case on the complaint of father of the BJP leader.

MORE India ARTICLES

Former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah Freed, Says Won't Make Any Political Statement For Now

Hours after he was released from seven-month detention, former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah told reporters on Friday at his residence at Gupkar Raod in Srinagar that he is thankful to the people who prayed for his freedom, "but my freedom is incomplete until all those detained in Kashmir are released".    

Former Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah Freed, Says Won't Make Any Political Statement For Now

NPR Not To Mark Any Citizen ‘Doubtful’; No Documents Need To Be Furnished: Amit Shah

The National Population Register (NPR) will not have a Doubtful category, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in the Rajya Sabha on Thursday and asked the opposition leaders to come to him and discuss if there is any doubt in this regard.  

NPR Not To Mark Any Citizen ‘Doubtful’; No Documents Need To Be Furnished: Amit Shah

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Her blood sample reported positive result at the KGMU laboratory, and will now be sent for reconfirmation to the National Institute of Virology in Pune.

Woman Doctor From Canada Tests Coronavirus Positive In Lucknow

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

A 76-year-old man from Kalburgi is India’s first casualty due to coronavirus, announced Karnataka state government Thursday. This is reportedly India’s first fatality due to COVID-19.    

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

In an unprecedented lockdown for Covid-19, India on Wednesday notified cancellation of all non-official visas to curb incoming traffic and advised against all non-essential travel abroad which also curbs outgoing travel.

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder

Investigative agencies have received a video of the killing of Intelligence Bureau staffer Ankit Sharma from the people of the locality and soon the name of his killer will be revealed, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder