Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Bengal Police faces ire of Calcutta HC over case against doctor associated with RG Kar movement

Darpan News Desk IANS, 21 Jan, 2025 12:52 PM
  • Bengal Police faces ire of Calcutta HC over case against doctor associated with RG Kar movement

Kolkata, Jan 21 (IANS) West Bengal Police on Tuesday faced the ire of a single-judge bench of the Calcutta High Court, for allegedly shoddy FIR against Asfakullah Naiya, one of the leading faces of R.G. Kar case movement, saying the latter is working as an ENT specialist at a private medical service provider in the state, despite not possessing the necessary qualification for the same.

Naiya is currently undergoing his post-graduation with a specialisation in ENT at R.G. Kar. On Monday, he approached Calcutta High Court’s single-judge bench of Justice Tirthankar Ghosh challenging summons from the Bidhannagar City Police in the matter.

The matter came up for hearing at the single-judge bench on Tuesday after Justice Ghosh observed that being an MBBS doctor Naiya has the right to practise as a physician and the police should have presented any prescription by him where he has claimed to be a ENT specialist.

Justice Ghosh also questioned why the state police started the case in a hurry despite the fact that the complainant in the case was not a patient.

Justice Ghosh also pointed out that there had been several cases where the police stopped at the general diary level.

Justice Ghosh also directed the state police to submit the case diary in matter to his court by the next date of hearing in the matter.

On January 16, Naiya was slapped with a show-cause notice by the West Bengal Medical Council based on a complaint against him for working as an ENT specialist at a private medical service provider in the state, despite not possessing the necessary qualifications for the same.

On the same day, the Bidhannagar City Police issued a summons to him in the same case and a team of cops also reached his residence at Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas district. However, when the cops reached his residence Naiya was at the hostel of R.G. Kar.

Naiya has claimed that he is being harassed by the state and police administration because he actively participated in the protests over the rape and murder of the lady junior doctor.

Meanwhile, Naiya has also received support in the matter from civil society and the common people.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai
Six children were injured after a bomb kept in an abandoned house exploded in Bihar’s Begusarai district on Tuesday afternoon. The victims have been identified as Nitish Kumar, Sintu Kumar, Bhulli Kumari, Ankush Kumar, Swati Kumari and one more child whose identity could not be ascertained.  

Six children sustain injuries in bomb explosion in Begusarai

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah
A delegation of Congress on Tuesday met the Election Commission and sought action against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah over violation of the Model Code of Conduct for their remarks on its party leaders despite submitting a complaint few days ago. The party said that it is as much the credibility of the Commission which is a stake as of the Model Code of Conduct.

Congress delegation meets EC seeking action against PM Modi, Shah

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius
The air quality in the national Capital continued to remain under the ‘very poor’ category on Tuesday evening with the AQI at 318, according to data from the System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting And Research (SAFAR). Meanwhile the India Meteorological Department said that the maximum temperature in the national Capital was registered at 22 degrees Celsius, four notches below the seasonal average.

Air quality improves at several monitoring stations, Delhi records max temp of 22 degree Celsius

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand
Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari on Tuesday said that he was relieved as all the 41 trapped workers from the under-construction Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand were rescued safely. He said that it was a well coordinated effort by multiple agencies marking one of the most significant rescue operations in recent years.  

‘Relieved,' says Gadkari after 41 workers rescued in Uttarakhand

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses
The operation to rescue 41 workers trapped inside the collapsed Silkyara tunnel in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district was halted after the platform supporting the auger machine which is drilling through the debris collapsed on Thursday evening. Girish Singh Rawat, one of the members of the rescue operation team, said: "Drilling cannot be done until the platform is ready. It may take five to six hours to get the platform ready."

Uttarkashi tunnel drilling halted after auger machine platform collapses

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed
The National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL) said that 100 km of viaducts were ready for the 508 km of the mega Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Corridor project while 250 km of pier work has been completed. The NHSRCL said that on November 25, 2021 first girder was launched while the first km of viaduct was completed on June 30, 2022 in a span of six months.

Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project: 100 km of viaducts, 250 km pier work completed