Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Tripura flood: All educational institutions to reopen on Tuesday after a week's closure

Tripura flood: All educational institutions to reopen on Tuesday after a week's closure
After a week's closure due to flooding, all educational institutions in Tripura would re-open from Tuesday (August 27) except those schools which have been converted into relief camps, an official said on Monday. After the devastating floods and landslides triggered by heavy rainfall that began on August 19, the Tripura government announced the closure of all educational institutions including schools and universities for an indefinite period.

Tripura flood: All educational institutions to reopen on Tuesday after a week's closure

Punjab Police bust interstate gang targeting religious places; four held

Punjab Police bust interstate gang targeting religious places; four held
In a major breakthrough, Punjab Police have solved the sensational Khanna Shiv Mandir theft case in less than a week by busting an interstate theft gang targeting religious places with the arrest of its four members, said Director General of Police (DGP) Gaurav Yadav here on Thursday. The operation was accomplished with the cooperation from Chandigarh Police, Uttarakhand Police and Uttar Pradesh Police.

Punjab Police bust interstate gang targeting religious places; four held

Amid uproar over RG Kar horror, Mamata writes to PM Modi seeking stringent anti-rape law

Amid uproar over RG Kar horror, Mamata writes to PM Modi seeking stringent anti-rape law
Confirming the development, Chief Advisor to Mamata Banerjee, Alapan Bandopadhyay, read out contents of the letter before mediapersons, which said the Chief Minister has suggested the setting up of special fast-track courts for speedy trials in such cases.

Amid uproar over RG Kar horror, Mamata writes to PM Modi seeking stringent anti-rape law

Delhi excise policy case: Supreme Court to hear Arvind Kejriwal's pleas on Friday

Delhi excise policy case: Supreme Court to hear Arvind Kejriwal's pleas on Friday
The Supreme Court is slated to hear on Friday the plea filed by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal challenging his arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in connection with the excise policy scam matter. As per the causelist published on the website of the apex court, a bench of Justices Surya Kant and Ujjal Bhuyan will hear the matter on August 23.

Delhi excise policy case: Supreme Court to hear Arvind Kejriwal's pleas on Friday

PM Modi to give certificates to 11 lakh Lakhpati Didis; roll out Rs 2,500 crore fund

PM Modi to give certificates to 11 lakh Lakhpati Didis; roll out Rs 2,500 crore fund
Union Minister for Rural Development and Agriculture & Farmers' Welfare Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Thursday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will give certificates to 11 lakh new 'Lakhpati Didis' at a special function to be held at Jalgaon in Maharashtra on August 25 (Sunday). The programme will have nationwide participation through the virtual mode.

PM Modi to give certificates to 11 lakh Lakhpati Didis; roll out Rs 2,500 crore fund

Punjab Police secure extradition of 2016 jailbreak mastermind from Hong Kong

Punjab Police secure extradition of 2016 jailbreak mastermind from Hong Kong
The accused was behind the 2016 Nabha jailbreak incident in which six wanted criminals, including two terrorists, escaped from the high-security jail as it was attacked by 10 to 12 armed men. Punjab Director General of Police (DGP) Gaurav Yadav said after continuous efforts by the police, Romy was brought back to India to face trial.

Punjab Police secure extradition of 2016 jailbreak mastermind from Hong Kong