Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab Minister seeks Rs 10 crore ex-gratia for Kolkata victim

Punjab Minister seeks Rs 10 crore ex-gratia for Kolkata victim
Standing firmly with the doctors fraternity agitating against the shocking rape and murder of a trainee doctor in Kolkata, Punjab Health and Family Welfare Minister Balbir Singh on Monday demanded Rs 10 crore ex-gratia from the Centre and the West Bengal government for the parents of the victim, besides seeking speedy justice for the victim and exemplary punishment for culprits.

Punjab Minister seeks Rs 10 crore ex-gratia for Kolkata victim

SpiceJet seeks urgent hearing on plea challenging Delhi HC directive on grounding 3 engines

SpiceJet seeks urgent hearing on plea challenging Delhi HC directive on grounding 3 engines
Low-cost carrier SpiceJet on Friday sought an urgent hearing on its application filed before the Delhi High Court challenging a directive requiring the debt-ridden airline to ground three engines by February 16. On Friday, the matter was mentioned before Acting Chief Justice (ACJ) Manmohan for urgent listing.

SpiceJet seeks urgent hearing on plea challenging Delhi HC directive on grounding 3 engines

Paris Olympics is our turning point, there will only be victory, says PM Modi

Paris Olympics is our turning point, there will only be victory, says PM Modi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that the Paris Olympics will serve as a launch pad for Indian sports to soar and is the turning point. He said this during his interaction with the Indian Paris Olympic contingent at his residence on Independence Day.

Paris Olympics is our turning point, there will only be victory, says PM Modi

Four members of Bhagwanpuria gang held in Punjab

Four members of Bhagwanpuria gang held in Punjab
The accused have been identified as Asrat Kanth, Kamalpreet Singh, Pardeep Kumar and Gurmeet Raj. Police teams have recovered four weapons, comprising one China-made 7.65 mm Glock, two .30 bore pistols and one revolver, besides four cartridges and three magazines.

Four members of Bhagwanpuria gang held in Punjab

India, Japan to hold third '2+2' dialogue on Aug 20

India, Japan to hold third '2+2' dialogue on Aug 20
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar will represent India, while Japanese Defence Minister Minoru Kihara and Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa will attend on behalf of Japan. This meeting follows the previous two rounds held in New Delhi in 2019 and Tokyo in 2022.

India, Japan to hold third '2+2' dialogue on Aug 20

Mamata threatens to protest in Delhi if CBI fails to crack RG Kar case by Aug 18

Mamata threatens to protest in Delhi if CBI fails to crack RG Kar case by Aug 18
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday set a deadline till August 18 for the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to complete its investigation into the rape and murder of a junior doctor at the R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata last week. The Chief Minister also said that if the CBI fails to meet the deadline, Trinamool Congress will stage protests in the national capital on this issue.

Mamata threatens to protest in Delhi if CBI fails to crack RG Kar case by Aug 18