Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

PM Modi congratulates new Ireland PM Simon Harris, says looking forward to work together

PM Modi congratulates new Ireland PM Simon Harris, says looking forward to work together
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday congratulated Simon Harris on becoming the youngest Prime Minister of Ireland and said that he looks forward to work together to further strengthen the partnership between the two nations.

PM Modi congratulates new Ireland PM Simon Harris, says looking forward to work together

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border
Goa Excise officials on Wednesday seized 720 boxes of liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh at Goa-Maharashtra border, allegedly being transported to Maharashtra. Excise Inspector Rajesh Naik, told IANS, that the seizure was done at Patradevi check post in the north district of the coastal state.  

Liquor valued at Rs 42 lakh seized at Goa border

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued
Two infants were rescued and four members, including a married couple, of a child trafficking gang were arrested, a Delhi Police official said on Wednesday. The gang, after luring poor families, used to take away their children and sell them to others, police said. The accused were identified as Gurmeet Singh, 41, his wife Hasmeet Kaur, 37, Mariyam, 30, and Naina, 24, all residents of Delhi.

Child trafficking gang busted in Delhi, two infants rescued

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid
Jitender Singh Shunty, a former legislator and social worker on Wednesday recalled a morale-booster phone call from Prime Minister Narendra Modi during the Covid-19 pandemic and revealed how the ‘words of appreciation’ motivated him to do more social service. Modi Story, a popular X handle, shared the moving story of the social worker who received a phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM for his selfless work during the pandemic.

A phone call from PM Modi at 2.30 AM: Social worker recalls morale-boosting experience during Covid

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer
Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of Rouse Avenue Court held that Kejriwal is not even utilising the permitted two legal interviews per week with his counsel solely for discussing his pending litigations and has rather used the allotted time for purposes other than legal interviews. She dismissed the plea, observing that Kejriwal failed to satisfy this court that he has been using the two permitted legal meetings per week solely for the purpose of discussing the pending litigation with his counsel.

'Time used for purposes other than legal interviews': Delhi court dismisses CM Kejriwal's plea seeking more time with lawyer

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too
President Sukhbir Badal on Wednesday demanded a judicial probe into the Punjab "liquor scam" as well as the misuse of state resources to fund the Aam Aadmi Party’s election campaign in various states. His demand came following the Delhi High Court rejecting Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s petition challenging his arrest by the ED.

Akali Dal chief seeks judicial probe into Punjab liquor scam too