Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Congress taunts BJP after World Bank withdraws paper flagging decline over toilet usage

Congress taunts BJP after World Bank withdraws paper flagging decline over toilet usage
Congress on Friday taunted the government over the success of Swachh Bharat Mission saying that the World Bank has to withdraw its paper that flagged decline in the use of toilets in rural India between 2018 and 2021. The Congress asked the government that instead of suppressing data and declaring victory over open defecation, an open and transparent audit of toilet usage and sanitation in India, along with reversing budget cuts.  

Congress taunts BJP after World Bank withdraws paper flagging decline over toilet usage

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC
A bench, headed by CJI D.Y. Chandrachud and comprising Justices J.B. Pardiwala and Manoj Misra, was hearing an original suit filed by the Punjab government under Article 131 of the Constitution against the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) notification issued in October 2021.  

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress
The Congress on Friday hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who told the COP 28 meeting in Dubai that India has "struck a great balance between ecology and economy", saying this was "yet another of his trademark falsehoods". 

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday carried out searches at multiple locations in Punjab, including the premises of former Congress Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot, in connection with the alleged forest scam. An ED source said that the agency teams are searching the premises of Dharamsot and a contractor.  

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case
The remarks from the MEA came after the US prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder-for-hire charges against Indian national Nikhil Gupta for involvement in a foiled plot to assassinate a US citizen allegedly on behalf of an Indian government employee. Gupta was arrested by Czech authorities on June 30 in response to a request by the US under an extradition treaty, according to a statement issued by the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams.  

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case
A 27-year-old man died and another was injured after they were hit by a car in Delhi, an official said on Thursday, adding that they have arrested the accused after scanning over 100 CCTV cameras installed in the vicinity of the scene of crime. The deceased was identified as Karan Gupta, a resident of Vishnu Garden. The injured was identified as Omkar Patle, a resident of Raghuveer Nagar and was undergoing treatment at a hospital.

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case