Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC
The recommendation for appointment of advocates Harmeet Singh Grewal, Deepinder Singh Nalwa, Sumeet Goel, Sudeepti Sharma, and Kirti Singh as judges was made on April 21 this year by the Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court in consultation with his two senior-most colleagues.

SC Collegium recommends elevation of five advocates as judges of Punjab & Haryana HC

Kwakta bomb blast case

Kwakta bomb blast case
The NIA has arrested a man in connection with the June 21 Kwakta bomb blast case that left three people injured, an officer from the central agency said on Monday. According to the NIA officer, on Monday in an Intelligence-based joint operation with the Assam Police, the agency has arrested Mohd Noor Hussain from Silchar in Assam.

Kwakta bomb blast case

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi
Delhi Police has apprehended three men and seized approximately 1,300 kilograms of firecrackers from their possession. In view of the ban in Delhi, the accused allegedly procured the firecrackers from neighbouring Gurugram. The accused identified as Yogender (62), Kishan Lal (60), both residents of Kotala Mubarakpur, and Akash Vashishith (35), a resident of Malviya Nagar, had procured the stock of firecrackers from Farukhnagar near Gurugram. 

1300 kg firecrackers seized in Delhi

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with law in connection with the May 4 viral video case in Manipur, involving sexual assault on women and killing of two men. It filed a charge sheet against six accused and a report against one child in conflict with the law (CCL) before the special CBI court here.  

CBI charge sheets 6 in Manipur viral video case

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar
The Railways on Thursday confirmed that four passengers have died and 30 others injured in the derailment of the North East Express train in Bihra's Buxar district. Following the accident, East Central Railway GM Tarun Prakash, Danapur DRM Jayant Kumar Chaudhary and other officers reached Raghunathpur to take control of the situation. The technical teams initiated investigation of the mishap.

Four killed, 30 injured as 23 coaches of North East Express derail in Bihar

Impersonation heist: Fake traffic cops decamp with Rs 50 L in Delhi robbery

Impersonation heist: Fake traffic cops decamp with Rs 50 L in Delhi robbery
Impersonating as traffic police, four men robbed a Pan Bahar Pvt Ltd employee of Rs 50 lakh here while he was returning after collecting a payment, an official said on Thursday. The incident occurred on Wednesday evening near Salim Garh flyover on the Outer Ring road.

Impersonation heist: Fake traffic cops decamp with Rs 50 L in Delhi robbery