Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Jaipur to be developed as a sports hub: Rajasthan CM

Jaipur to be developed as a sports hub: Rajasthan CM
In a bid to support the sports culture in the state, the delegation had a productive discussion with the officials of Royal Multisport Pvt Ltd, owner of the Rajasthan Royals cricket team at London’s Lord's Cricket Ground.

Jaipur to be developed as a sports hub: Rajasthan CM

Jailed MP Amritpal Singh, two Canada-based handlers blamed for murder in Punjab

Jailed MP Amritpal Singh, two Canada-based handlers blamed for murder in Punjab
Sharing operation details, the DGP said a Special Investigation Team (SIT), comprising police officials from Faridkot district and State Special Operations Cell, was constituted and separate teams were assigned the tasks of visiting the scene of crime and collecting physical and digital evidence.

Jailed MP Amritpal Singh, two Canada-based handlers blamed for murder in Punjab

India denies Canadian allegation that it uses mobsters to target Sikh separatists in Canada

India denies Canadian allegation that it uses mobsters to target Sikh separatists in Canada
Canada is not the only country that has accused Indian officials of plotting an assassination on foreign soil. The U.S. Justice Department announced criminal charges against an Indian government employee Thursday in connection with an alleged foiled plot to kill a Sikh separatist leader living in New York City.

India denies Canadian allegation that it uses mobsters to target Sikh separatists in Canada

Rs 25 lakh ‘supari’ to kill Salman Khan: Navi Mumbai cops nab wanted man from Haryana

Rs 25 lakh ‘supari’ to kill Salman Khan: Navi Mumbai cops nab wanted man from Haryana
The Navi Mumbai has arrested a key operative of the jailed mafiosi Lawrence Bishnoi, for an alleged Rs 25 lakhs contract to eliminate Bollywood mega-star Salman Khan, from Panipat in Haryana, officials said here on Thursday. He is identified as Sukhbir Balbir Singh alias Sukha who was nabbed by a team of Panvel Police from Haryana yesterday, for the contract hit on Khan plotted between August 2023 and April 2024.

Rs 25 lakh ‘supari’ to kill Salman Khan: Navi Mumbai cops nab wanted man from Haryana

Elderly couple among 3 killed in a blaze at posh complex in Mumbai

Elderly couple among 3 killed in a blaze at posh complex in Mumbai
A senior citizen couple and another person died in a major fire that broke out in a flat in the upmarket Lokhandwala Complex in Andheri West, officials said here on Wednesday. According to the BMC Disaster Control, the blaze was reported around 8 a.m. and firefighters and other rescue teams rushed to the spot.

Elderly couple among 3 killed in a blaze at posh complex in Mumbai

Make me CM again, says Kejriwal in open letter to Delhi voters

Make me CM again, says Kejriwal in open letter to Delhi voters
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) national convener Arvind Kejriwal on Wednesday made an emotional appeal to Delhi voters to re-elect him as the Chief Minister in the upcoming Assembly elections. The legislator from the New Delhi Assembly constituency accused the BJP of conspiring to halt development in the national capital and sought public support to defeat it.

Make me CM again, says Kejriwal in open letter to Delhi voters