Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Canadian citizen arrested in connection with DRDO espionage case

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Aug, 2023 11:43 AM
  • Canadian citizen arrested in connection with DRDO espionage case

New Delhi, Aug 22 (IANS) In a significant development in connection with the DRDO espionage case involving a former Navy commander and a freelance journalist, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested a Canadian citizen, a source said on Tuesday. 

A well-placed source told IANS that the accused has been identified as Rahul Gangal. 

"Freelance journalist Vivek Raghuvanshi was previously arrested on May 17 for possessing sensitive documents related to DRDO. Later, former Navy commander Ashish Pathak was also apprehended for assisting Raghuvanshi. During the investigation, it was discovered that Gangal was supplying sensitive documents to Raghuvanshi," the CBI source said. 

The source further revealed that Gangal had acquired Canadian citizenship and had been residing there. 

Subsequently, the CBI learned that Gangal had returned to India on August 19. 

After verifying his address, the CBI arrested him during a raid. The CBI team also conducted a search operation at his residence, leading to the recovery of classified documents. 

The CBI filed a charge sheet in this case on July 12. The probe agency registered the case on December 9, 2022, under Section 3 of the Official Secrets Act, read with Section 120-B of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), after receiving a complaint from the DRDO. Raghuvanshi allegedly shared classified DRDO information with foreign intelligence agencies, including Pakistan. 

"Raghuvanshi was involved in the illegal collection of sensitive information. He gathered minute details about DRDO defense projects and their progress, as well as sensitive information regarding future procurement by the Indian armed forces, which revealed the strategic preparedness of the country. 

"He also shared classified communications and information related to national security, as well as details of India's strategic and diplomatic discussions with friendly nations, with foreign intelligence agencies," stated the CBI. 

MORE India ARTICLES

Indians pushed out of trains, bunkers in Ukraine: K'taka student appeals for help

Indians pushed out of trains, bunkers in Ukraine: K'taka student appeals for help
 "Indian students are being pushed out of trains, they are not allowed to board, if questioned they are being assaulted and guns are being pointed at them,". There are many incidents where Indians were asked to leave bunkers. Ukraninans are telling Indian students that India is not supporting them and why should they help them?

Indians pushed out of trains, bunkers in Ukraine: K'taka student appeals for help

PM Modi speaks to President Putin on safe passage of Indians

PM Modi speaks to President Putin on safe passage of Indians
The two leaders reviewed the situation, especially in the city of Kharkiv where many Indian students are stuck, and discussed the safe evacuation of Indian nationals from the conflict areas, an MEA statement said.

PM Modi speaks to President Putin on safe passage of Indians

Parents of students stranded in Ukraine stage protest in J&K

Parents of students stranded in Ukraine stage protest in J&K
Officials said the administration was in touch with the families of 32 students belonging to the Jammu division who are stranded in Ukraine. Officials said nine evacuation flights have so far brought back around 2,000 Indians stranded in Ukraine since February 26.

Parents of students stranded in Ukraine stage protest in J&K

Sukhbir blames Kejriwal for blocking release of Bhullar

Sukhbir blames Kejriwal for blocking release of Bhullar
Bhullar was convicted and sentenced to death in 2011 in the 1993 Delhi bomb blasts case. In March 2014, however, the Supreme Court commuted his death sentence to life imprisonment owing to his ill health.

Sukhbir blames Kejriwal for blocking release of Bhullar

50 of over 230 students from NE in Ukraine back home

50 of over 230 students from NE in Ukraine back home
An official in Guwahati said that the Assam government so far prepared a list of 160 such students and the process of evacuating them has been going on in coordination with the External Affairs Ministry.

50 of over 230 students from NE in Ukraine back home

Over 4K Indian students to be evacuated from Romania: Scindia

Over 4K Indian students to be evacuated from Romania: Scindia
Addressing a virtual press conference from Romania, he said that over 4,000 students will be evacuated in the next three days. He said that six flights were operated from Bucharest to India on Wednesday.

Over 4K Indian students to be evacuated from Romania: Scindia