Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

Protest to continue until demands are met, say farmers

Protest to continue until demands are met, say farmers
Farmers stated that they have been protesting at zero point of Yamuna Expressway for the last three days for their various demands, yet they are being ignored. "The District Administration wants to forcefully end the protest, but we will not allow it to happen," they alleged.  Recently, Rakesh Tikait, the national spokesperson of the Bharatiya Kisan Union, had also come to participate in this demonstration. 

Protest to continue until demands are met, say farmers

Ahead of panchayat polls in Haryana, Dera Sacha Sauda chief gets 40-day parole

Ahead of panchayat polls in Haryana, Dera Sacha Sauda chief gets 40-day parole
During the parole, he will be staying on the Dera's premises in Rajasthan. He has been lodged in Sunaria jail since 2017 after being convicted in rape and murder cases. Last year he was also released from the jail thrice for various reasons, including his plea to meet the ailing mother.

Ahead of panchayat polls in Haryana, Dera Sacha Sauda chief gets 40-day parole

Attack on our student in Australia should be taken seriously: India

Attack on our student in Australia should be taken seriously: India
Shubham Garg, 28, who is pursuing PhD in mechanical engineering from the University of New South Wales, was stabbed multiple times on his face, chest and abdomen when he was walking along the Pacific Highway while returning to his place of residence.

Attack on our student in Australia should be taken seriously: India

Bomb threat on Moscow-Delhi flight, search underway at Delhi airport

Bomb threat on Moscow-Delhi flight, search underway at Delhi airport
The police said that they got the PCR call at around 11.15 p.m. that the flight which was coming from Moscow, and was scheduled to land at 3.20 a.m., had a bomb in it. After receiving the call all the security agencies were put on standby the whole night.

Bomb threat on Moscow-Delhi flight, search underway at Delhi airport

Watched helplessly as daughters taken to Lingayat seer's pvt room: Mother recounts horror

Watched helplessly as daughters taken to Lingayat seer's pvt room: Mother recounts horror
One of her daughters,the woman said, was sexually exploited by the accused seer till she attained puberty. She had admitted her daughters to SJM Kannada medium school in 2016 in third and first standards. They stayed at the mutt's residential facility.

Watched helplessly as daughters taken to Lingayat seer's pvt room: Mother recounts horror

Haryana for starting SYL canal construction, Punjab says not even drop of water to share

Haryana for starting SYL canal construction, Punjab says not even drop of water to share
Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and his Haryana counterpart Manohar Lal Khattar on Friday failed to reach a consensus over the contentious Sutlej Yamuna Link (SYL) canal issue at a crucial meeting on the issue held here. 

Haryana for starting SYL canal construction, Punjab says not even drop of water to share