Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case
Earlier in the day Bishnoi had alleged that the Punjab police can do mishappening with him under political pressure. His plea has been accepted by the Delhi High Court which will hear arguments in the matter. Moosewala's autopsy revealed that he had 24 bullet injuries whereas 30 rounds were fired.

Special Cell gets 5-day remand of Lawrence Bishnoi in Moosewala case

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody
A team of Punjab Police along with sleuths of the Uttarakhand STF had arrested Manpreet Singh from Dehradun on Monday. He was suspected to have provided "key logistical support" in the murder of the Punjabi singer.

First person arrested in Moosewala killing sent to 5-day police custody

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?
It is learnt that the AK-47 assault rifle was used in the crime as its bullet shells were recovered from the crime scene.  The Punjab police is not leaving any stone unturned in its probe in the matter.

Russian assault rifle AN-94 used by assassins of Moosewala?

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing
The Chief Minister, while acceding to the request of Balkar Singh Sidhu, the father of slain singer, said the state government will be requesting the Chief Justice of the High Court to get the case enquired into by a sitting judge.

Punjab CM orders probe by sitting HC judge into Moosewala killing

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait
Bharatiya Kisan Union leader Tikait was attacked with black paint during a press conference at Bengaluru on 'Raita Chaluvali, Aatmavalokana haagu Spasteekarana Sabha (Farmer's Movement, Introspection and Clarification Meeting)' organised by Karnataka State Farmers Association, affiliated to the SKM, and Hasiru Sene.

Samyukt Kisan Morcha demands judicial probe into attack on Rakesh Tikait

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials
Earlier, NCB official Ashish Ranjan Prasad was placed under suspension. Later his suspension was revoked and he was transferred to CISF. Another NCB official who faced the music was Intelligence Official V.V. Singh who filled the arrest memo of Aryan Khan, son of mega star Shahrukh Khan. Singh was placed under suspension which has not been revoked as of now.

Drugs-on-cruise case: SIT to fix responsibility of NCB officials