Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

Gold prices rise to 3-month high on back of safe-haven demand

Gold prices rise to 3-month high on back of safe-haven demand
Gold prices rose to a three-month high on Friday and were headed for a second consecutive weekly gain, on the back of a safe-haven demand due to the Middle East conflict and expectations that the US Federal Reserve was likely to pause rate hikes. Gold, seen as a safe store of value during times of political and financial uncertainty, has risen 2.2 per cent so far this week.

Gold prices rise to 3-month high on back of safe-haven demand

G20 action plan achieved consensus on scaling up finance for developing nations, says PM's Principal Secy

G20 action plan achieved consensus on scaling up finance for developing nations, says PM's Principal Secy
Prime Minister's Principal Secretary P.K. Mishra on Friday said that the G20 action plan has successfully managed to achieve strong consensus on scaling up financing for developing countries. Addressing the Kautilya Economic Conclave, he said that action plan envisages an ambitious 7-year roadmap for coordinated, integrated, and inclusive G20 actions.  

G20 action plan achieved consensus on scaling up finance for developing nations, says PM's Principal Secy

India ranks number one in Osteoporosis cases

India ranks number one in Osteoporosis cases
India ranks number one in the total number of osteoporosis cases, said doctors on the eve of World Osteoporosis Day. There are 1.5 million osteoporosis cases identified in men due to lack of calcium, genetics and other factors. Every year, October 20 is observed as World Osteoporosis Day which emphasises on increasing awareness about having strong bones, treatments, tips to maintain healthy bones, etc.

India ranks number one in Osteoporosis cases

Woman, two partners held for duping 11 people through dating app

Woman, two partners held for duping 11 people through dating app
A 32-year-old woman has been arrested along with two of her accomplices for allegedly duping 11 people from Delhi, Gurugram and Noida through a dating app police said. The city police nabbed Surbhi alias Sakshi alias Payal, a resident of Chawri Bazar, Delhi and his male friends Sushil, a resident of Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh and Vishal of Chawdi Bazaar in Delhi.

Woman, two partners held for duping 11 people through dating app

Gujarat crackdown: 851 raids, 105 arrests & 27 licenses revoked in statewide illicit spa operations

Gujarat crackdown: 851 raids, 105 arrests & 27 licenses revoked in statewide illicit spa operations
In an operation aimed at eradicating human trafficking under the guise of spa services and hotels, the Gujarat Police undertook simultaneous raids on 851 establishments across the state, following a directive from the Minister of State for Home, Harsh Sanghavi. The large-scale operation, initiated on October 18, resulted in 103 FIRs filed against 152 individuals, leading to the arrest of 105 suspects.  

Gujarat crackdown: 851 raids, 105 arrests & 27 licenses revoked in statewide illicit spa operations

NIA files charge sheet against Lawrence Bishnoi in Gujarat drug case

NIA files charge sheet against Lawrence Bishnoi in Gujarat drug case
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday filed a supplementary charge sheet in the Special Court, Ahmedabad against jailed gangster Lawrence Bishnoi in a case involving the seizure of around 39 kg heroin by the Gujarat Police. According to the statement issued by the NIA, the charge sheet has been filed under multiple sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) along with section 66C of the Information Technology (IT) Act.   

NIA files charge sheet against Lawrence Bishnoi in Gujarat drug case