Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

11 Nigerians held for illegally residing in India

11 Nigerians held for illegally residing in India
The Dwarka police have arrested 11 Nigerian nationals, who had been living illegally in national capital's Mohan Garden area of the district.  The arrests were carried out jointly by Dwarka police ATS and Anti-Narcotics Cell teams.

11 Nigerians held for illegally residing in India

UP boy dies after allegedly being thrashed by teacher

UP boy dies after allegedly being thrashed by teacher
Rajesh Vishwakarma, the victim's brother, told reporters: "My brother was beaten up by his teacher because of school fees of Rs 250 per month. I had paid it online but the teacher did not know and brutally beat up my brother."

UP boy dies after allegedly being thrashed by teacher

African swine fever detected in Punjab

African swine fever detected in Punjab
Accordingly, no live or dead pig, including feral or wild pigs, unprocessed pig meat, feed or any material or goods from the piggery farm or backyard piggery shall be taken out of or brought into the infected zone and no person shall bring or attempt to bring into market any pig or pig products which is known to be infected with the scheduled disease.

African swine fever detected in Punjab

Farmers on 75-hour protest in UP's Lakhimpur Kheri

Farmers on 75-hour protest in UP's Lakhimpur Kheri
Bhudev Sharma, national organisation secretary of BKU-Tikait, said the farmers would demand dismissal of Union minister of state for home Ajay Kumar Mishra 'Teni' in connection with Tikunia violence of October 3, 2021, in which his son Ashish Mishra is the key accused.

Farmers on 75-hour protest in UP's Lakhimpur Kheri

Chocolates worth Rs 17L stolen from Lucknow godown

Chocolates worth Rs 17L stolen from Lucknow godown
In a seemingly bizarre incident, nearly 150 cartons of chocolate bars of a popular brand have been stolen from a godown by unidentified miscreants in the Chinhat area in Lucknow.  The godown belongs to businessman Rajendra Singh Siddhu, who is a distributor of a multinational chocolate brand in the city.

Chocolates worth Rs 17L stolen from Lucknow godown

Female teacher burnt alive dies in Jaipur hospital

Female teacher burnt alive dies in Jaipur hospital
At around 8 am on August 10, some miscreants gheraoed Anita when she was going to the school with her six-year-old son.  To save herself, Anita entered the house of a person named Kalu Ram Regar and dialled 100 for help. However, the police did not reach the spot. After this, the accused set Anita on fire by pouring petrol on her.

Female teacher burnt alive dies in Jaipur hospital