Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

Rahul gets bail in defamation case, next hearing on April 13

Rahul gets bail in defamation case, next hearing on April 13
During his campaign, Gandhi stated that "all thieves have Modi surname", equating Prime Minister Narendra Modi with fugitives like Lalit Modi and Nirav Modi. On March 23, a lower court in Surat found him guilty of defaming the entire Modi community in a case filed by BJP MLA Purnesh Modi. 

Rahul gets bail in defamation case, next hearing on April 13

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held
A Delhi Police official said that one of the buyers was a liquor mafia group led by Sumit Anangpur from Faridabad, which purchased stolen luxury cars worth around Rs 20 lakh each, for just Rs 3-4 lakh and used them to hoodwink the agencies to transport foreign liquor to Bihar.

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Is India seeing another Covid wave?
Last week, the country had seen a surge with 18,450 fresh cases, a substantial rise from the previous week's 8,781 cases. The Omicron variant XBB.1.16 is believed to be behind the sudden surge of the cases.

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted
As many as two dozen fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire and the operation lasted more than six hours. More than two dozen fire tenders are on the spot, trying to douse the inferno.

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday
Officials of the central jail have not confirmed his release prematurely. Sidhu on May 20, 2022, surrendered before a court in Patiala in a 1988 road rage case that had led to the death of a 65-year-old man.

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy
Out of total 36 people who died in the heart wrenching incident, the youngest victim was a two-year-old boy, Hitansh, while the eldest one was an 80-year-old woman identified as Jayvanti Devi, according to police. Most of the victims were women.

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy