Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Feb, 2025 05:57 PM
  • Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Lucknow, Feb 12 (IANS) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has been summoned by a Lucknow court on March 24 in connection with his allegedly defamatory remarks against the Indian Army during the Bharat Jodo Yatra in 2022.

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Alok Verma scheduled the hearing for March 24 and said that Rahul Gandhi would have to be present in court.

The complaint was filed by lawyer Vivek Tiwari on behalf of Uday Shankar Srivastava, former director of Border Roads Organisation, who has a rank equivalent to an Army Colonel.

Tiwari claimed that Rahul Gandhi's comments made on December 16, 2022, about a clash between the Indian and Chinese army on December 9, 2022, were derogatory and defamed the Indian military forces.

On February 11, a special court heard another defamation case against the Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition over an allegedly objectionable remark made by Gandhi about Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the 2018 Karnataka Assembly elections.

The court posted the next hearing for the case on February 24, when the witness would be cross-examined. The court has also ordered the complainant to produce relevant evidence in the case.

Over the past five years, the case has gone through multiple proceedings, but Rahul Gandhi failed to appear in court.

In December 2023, following a warrant, LoP Rahul Gandhi finally appeared in court. In February 2024, the Congress leader complied with the summons and the special magistrate granted him bail.

The Rae Bareli MP has claimed that he is not guilty of the charge and that the case was a part of a political conspiracy against him.

The comment that "Chinese soldiers are beating up Indian Army personnel in Arunachal Pradesh" -- a dig at the government over Chinese action at the Line of Actual Control -- drew sharp criticism from many quarters and led to a massive political row.

Many BJP leaders had declared that Rahul Gandhi was "anti-national", and accused his family of receiving Chinese hospitality and funds in the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.

It did not deter Rahul Gandhi who continued to target the government over the China issue.

In March 2023, Rahul Gandhi was barred from attending for a while after he was found guilty in a defamation case for a remark targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his last name. The Gujarat court which was hearing the case, sentenced him to a two-year jail term.

Though the sentence was suspended, the duration was exactly what was needed to bar leaders from Parliament, the Opposition pointed out, calling it a conspiracy against the Congress leader.

Rahul Gandhi later received relief from the Supreme Court, which put his conviction on hold, pointing out that the trial judge had awarded the maximum sentence of two years in the case. If the sentence was a day less, it would not have attracted disqualification, the court had added in its judgment.

MORE India ARTICLES

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year
Over 400 individuals have been arrested this year for touting at Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, more than double compared to last year, a Delhi Police official said. Persistent issues of inconvenience and harassment to passengers have prompted authorities to take decisive action against unauthorised solicitation, the official added.

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat
According to Sohana Police (formerly, Mohali) official Mukesh Sinha, the accused Shailesh Mehta, 71, was nabbed from his purported hideout at an old-age home in Ahmedabad following a FIR registered after a complaint lodged by Punjab businessman Viresh Singhal.

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9
Reaching here late on Friday, Shah will fly down to Gadchiroli the next morning to inaugurate a direct reduced iron plan of Lloyds Metals & Energy Ltd, which will be the first big project coming up in the Maoist hinterland. He is also likely to perform the ground-breaking ceremony of other LMEL projects as part of the company’s Rs 20,000-crore integrated steel manufacturing unit in Kondseri on a 1000-acre complex.

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi
The Ministry said that the meeting was co-chaired from the Indian side by Brigadier Vivek Narang, Deputy Assistant Chief of Integrated Staff IDC (A), HQ IDS, and Col (GS) Christian Schmidt, Director, Department International Cooperation Armed Forces Office from the German side. The meeting was conducted in a friendly, warm, and cordial atmosphere.  

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS
Drawing attention to the BJP's pledge to forge a "New India" by "Amrit Kaal 2022", Chadha underscored the imminent arrival of 2024 and urged the government to make strides in fulfilling its commitments. He highlighted 25 promises made by the BJP that remain unfulfilled till date.

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram
The Congress, which governed Mizoram for more than 22 years in different terms since 1984 under the Chief Ministership of party stalwart Lal Thanhawla, performed disastrously in the state assembly elections, result of which was announced on Monday. The Congress fielded candidates in all 40 seats but its nominee C. Ngunlianchunga is the only winner in Lawngtlai West seat by a margin of 432 votes.

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram