Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Feb, 2025 05:57 PM
  • Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Lucknow, Feb 12 (IANS) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has been summoned by a Lucknow court on March 24 in connection with his allegedly defamatory remarks against the Indian Army during the Bharat Jodo Yatra in 2022.

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Alok Verma scheduled the hearing for March 24 and said that Rahul Gandhi would have to be present in court.

The complaint was filed by lawyer Vivek Tiwari on behalf of Uday Shankar Srivastava, former director of Border Roads Organisation, who has a rank equivalent to an Army Colonel.

Tiwari claimed that Rahul Gandhi's comments made on December 16, 2022, about a clash between the Indian and Chinese army on December 9, 2022, were derogatory and defamed the Indian military forces.

On February 11, a special court heard another defamation case against the Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition over an allegedly objectionable remark made by Gandhi about Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the 2018 Karnataka Assembly elections.

The court posted the next hearing for the case on February 24, when the witness would be cross-examined. The court has also ordered the complainant to produce relevant evidence in the case.

Over the past five years, the case has gone through multiple proceedings, but Rahul Gandhi failed to appear in court.

In December 2023, following a warrant, LoP Rahul Gandhi finally appeared in court. In February 2024, the Congress leader complied with the summons and the special magistrate granted him bail.

The Rae Bareli MP has claimed that he is not guilty of the charge and that the case was a part of a political conspiracy against him.

The comment that "Chinese soldiers are beating up Indian Army personnel in Arunachal Pradesh" -- a dig at the government over Chinese action at the Line of Actual Control -- drew sharp criticism from many quarters and led to a massive political row.

Many BJP leaders had declared that Rahul Gandhi was "anti-national", and accused his family of receiving Chinese hospitality and funds in the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.

It did not deter Rahul Gandhi who continued to target the government over the China issue.

In March 2023, Rahul Gandhi was barred from attending for a while after he was found guilty in a defamation case for a remark targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his last name. The Gujarat court which was hearing the case, sentenced him to a two-year jail term.

Though the sentence was suspended, the duration was exactly what was needed to bar leaders from Parliament, the Opposition pointed out, calling it a conspiracy against the Congress leader.

Rahul Gandhi later received relief from the Supreme Court, which put his conviction on hold, pointing out that the trial judge had awarded the maximum sentence of two years in the case. If the sentence was a day less, it would not have attracted disqualification, the court had added in its judgment.

MORE India ARTICLES

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor
Addressing a press conference here, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said on Wednesday that the Centre is extending the PMGKAY scheme to provide 5 kg of free foodgrain per month to 81 crore poor people for another five years, effective from January 1, 2024.

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US
India has constituted a high-level inquiry committee to look into the security concerns raised by the US government, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said on Wednesday. The Biden government had earlier said it had raised the issue of an alleged plot to kill Sikh separatist leader Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, who is considered a terrorist by the Indian government, in the US.

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna
The residents of Patna City are angry after the district administration demolished 40 houses for the Patna Metro project on Wednesday. As per the layout plan of Patna Metro, 76 acres of land at the Pahadi locality is earmarked for the project near ‘zero mile.’

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said during the ongoing Assembly session on Wednesday that the dengue situation was under control in the state because of his government’s timely action. Leader of opposition Akhilesh Yadav countered the claim by asking that who was responsible for the deaths caused by the mosquito-borne disease.

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward
A team of Gurugram Police has arrested a wanted criminal carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh at Amritsar airport in connection with the murder of a Gurugram-based property dealer, Vijay Batra a.k.a. Tantrik, an official said on Wednesday. The arrested individual has been identified as Karan a.k.a. Ali, a resident of Bas Mohalla Hathin in Palwal district.  

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women
Alleging that Art and Culture Minister Govind Gaude has insulted women from the fields of art, culture and literature over the issue of conferring state awards, noted female actors in Goa have demanded to drop him from the Cabinet. Gaude invited the wrath of the people after the announcement of the names of the 12 recipients of the prestigious Goa State Cultural Awards, with all them being male.

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women