Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Feb, 2025 05:57 PM
  • Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Lucknow, Feb 12 (IANS) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has been summoned by a Lucknow court on March 24 in connection with his allegedly defamatory remarks against the Indian Army during the Bharat Jodo Yatra in 2022.

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Alok Verma scheduled the hearing for March 24 and said that Rahul Gandhi would have to be present in court.

The complaint was filed by lawyer Vivek Tiwari on behalf of Uday Shankar Srivastava, former director of Border Roads Organisation, who has a rank equivalent to an Army Colonel.

Tiwari claimed that Rahul Gandhi's comments made on December 16, 2022, about a clash between the Indian and Chinese army on December 9, 2022, were derogatory and defamed the Indian military forces.

On February 11, a special court heard another defamation case against the Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition over an allegedly objectionable remark made by Gandhi about Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the 2018 Karnataka Assembly elections.

The court posted the next hearing for the case on February 24, when the witness would be cross-examined. The court has also ordered the complainant to produce relevant evidence in the case.

Over the past five years, the case has gone through multiple proceedings, but Rahul Gandhi failed to appear in court.

In December 2023, following a warrant, LoP Rahul Gandhi finally appeared in court. In February 2024, the Congress leader complied with the summons and the special magistrate granted him bail.

The Rae Bareli MP has claimed that he is not guilty of the charge and that the case was a part of a political conspiracy against him.

The comment that "Chinese soldiers are beating up Indian Army personnel in Arunachal Pradesh" -- a dig at the government over Chinese action at the Line of Actual Control -- drew sharp criticism from many quarters and led to a massive political row.

Many BJP leaders had declared that Rahul Gandhi was "anti-national", and accused his family of receiving Chinese hospitality and funds in the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.

It did not deter Rahul Gandhi who continued to target the government over the China issue.

In March 2023, Rahul Gandhi was barred from attending for a while after he was found guilty in a defamation case for a remark targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his last name. The Gujarat court which was hearing the case, sentenced him to a two-year jail term.

Though the sentence was suspended, the duration was exactly what was needed to bar leaders from Parliament, the Opposition pointed out, calling it a conspiracy against the Congress leader.

Rahul Gandhi later received relief from the Supreme Court, which put his conviction on hold, pointing out that the trial judge had awarded the maximum sentence of two years in the case. If the sentence was a day less, it would not have attracted disqualification, the court had added in its judgment.

MORE India ARTICLES

Links of inter-state narco-smuggling module traced from Kupwara to Punjab: J&K DGP

Links of inter-state narco-smuggling module traced from Kupwara to Punjab: J&K DGP
Addressing a Press conference here on Thursday the DGP said that eight people have been arrested so far. While four people were held from Kupwara and four from Punjab, 30 kgs of cocaine, Rs 5 crore in cash, 40 fake number plates of vehicles, passports and a German-made revolver, too, were recovered.

Links of inter-state narco-smuggling module traced from Kupwara to Punjab: J&K DGP

2023 Global Hunger Index: India ranks 111; govt calls report 'flawed'

2023 Global Hunger Index: India ranks 111; govt calls report 'flawed'
In 2022, India ranked 107 out of the 125 countries. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development, in a statement, refuted the claims and said that the index "continues to be a flawed measure of ‘Hunger’ and does not reflect India’s true position".   

2023 Global Hunger Index: India ranks 111; govt calls report 'flawed'

Fire in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital, 424 patients evacuated

Fire in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital, 424 patients evacuated
A fire broke out in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital and 424 patients were evacuated, officials said on Tuesday, adding that the patients requiring ventilators were moved to safer areas and there was no causality. The fire incident occurred in the computer room of C-block of Nehru Hospital of the PGI around 11.45 p.m. on Monday, the hospital said in a statement.  

Fire in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital, 424 patients evacuated

India's energy demands bound to grow exponentially in coming years: Hardeep Puri

India's energy demands bound to grow exponentially in coming years: Hardeep Puri
Petroleum Minister Hardeep Puri on Tuesday said that India's energy demand will continue to provide fuel for future economic growth and is bound to grow exponentially in the coming years. He said that at present the country is the world's third largest consumer of oil, third largest LPG consumer, fourth largest LNG importer, fourth largest refiner, fourth largest automobile market.

India's energy demands bound to grow exponentially in coming years: Hardeep Puri

Israel-Hamas conflict: Air India offers one-time waiver on confirmed tickets

Israel-Hamas conflict: Air India offers one-time waiver on confirmed tickets
Air India has offered a one-time waiver on charges for rescheduling or cancellation of confirmed tickets on flights to and from Tel Aviv amid the ongoing conflict between Hamas and Israel. In the wake of the violence that erupted on October 7, Air India has suspended its operations to and from Delhi-Tel Aviv till October 14.

Israel-Hamas conflict: Air India offers one-time waiver on confirmed tickets

Modi expresses deep condolences over people killed in Israel during telephonic conversation with Netanyahu

Modi expresses deep condolences over people killed in Israel during telephonic conversation with Netanyahu
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed deep condolences and sympathy for those killed and wounded as a result of the terrorist attacks in Israel. Modi also conveyed that the people of India stand in solidarity with Israel in this difficult hour.

Modi expresses deep condolences over people killed in Israel during telephonic conversation with Netanyahu