Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Darpan News Desk IANS, 11 Feb, 2025 05:57 PM
  • Court summons Rahul Gandhi on March 24 for defamatory remarks on Army

Lucknow, Feb 12 (IANS) Congress leader Rahul Gandhi has been summoned by a Lucknow court on March 24 in connection with his allegedly defamatory remarks against the Indian Army during the Bharat Jodo Yatra in 2022.

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Alok Verma scheduled the hearing for March 24 and said that Rahul Gandhi would have to be present in court.

The complaint was filed by lawyer Vivek Tiwari on behalf of Uday Shankar Srivastava, former director of Border Roads Organisation, who has a rank equivalent to an Army Colonel.

Tiwari claimed that Rahul Gandhi's comments made on December 16, 2022, about a clash between the Indian and Chinese army on December 9, 2022, were derogatory and defamed the Indian military forces.

On February 11, a special court heard another defamation case against the Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition over an allegedly objectionable remark made by Gandhi about Union Home Minister Amit Shah during the 2018 Karnataka Assembly elections.

The court posted the next hearing for the case on February 24, when the witness would be cross-examined. The court has also ordered the complainant to produce relevant evidence in the case.

Over the past five years, the case has gone through multiple proceedings, but Rahul Gandhi failed to appear in court.

In December 2023, following a warrant, LoP Rahul Gandhi finally appeared in court. In February 2024, the Congress leader complied with the summons and the special magistrate granted him bail.

The Rae Bareli MP has claimed that he is not guilty of the charge and that the case was a part of a political conspiracy against him.

The comment that "Chinese soldiers are beating up Indian Army personnel in Arunachal Pradesh" -- a dig at the government over Chinese action at the Line of Actual Control -- drew sharp criticism from many quarters and led to a massive political row.

Many BJP leaders had declared that Rahul Gandhi was "anti-national", and accused his family of receiving Chinese hospitality and funds in the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.

It did not deter Rahul Gandhi who continued to target the government over the China issue.

In March 2023, Rahul Gandhi was barred from attending for a while after he was found guilty in a defamation case for a remark targeting Prime Minister Narendra Modi over his last name. The Gujarat court which was hearing the case, sentenced him to a two-year jail term.

Though the sentence was suspended, the duration was exactly what was needed to bar leaders from Parliament, the Opposition pointed out, calling it a conspiracy against the Congress leader.

Rahul Gandhi later received relief from the Supreme Court, which put his conviction on hold, pointing out that the trial judge had awarded the maximum sentence of two years in the case. If the sentence was a day less, it would not have attracted disqualification, the court had added in its judgment.

MORE India ARTICLES

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi
A woman, who used to get false gang-rape FIRs lodged against people to extort money and had been running a sextortion gang, was arrested in Delhi's Dwarka area, police said on Monday.  So far four such cases against various persons in Delhi and Haryana have surfaced.

Woman running sextortion racket held in Delhi

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'
The order came after arguments at length before the district court of Mansa on the plea of the parents of Moosewala, who were successful in securing an ex-parte ad-interim order against Salim Sadruddin Moledina Merchant and Sulaiman Sadruddin Moledina Merchant, popularly known as Salim-Sulaiman.

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt
Asserting that the dairy sector had been strengthened in Punjab over the last few decades with the aim of increasing farm income through allied activities, Badal said then Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal even entrusted this responsibility to the state farmers' commission formed by him.

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30
The allegations against Sisodia is that liquor businessmen were allegedly given exemption of Rs 30 crore. The licence holders were allegedly given extension according to their own will. The policy rules were made by violating excise rules.

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust
According to the information received from the authority, the capacity of a tanker is about 10,000 litres. In such a situation, 45 lakh litres of water has been used so far. Work is still going on at many places. As thick layer of dust had accumulated all around, especially in the surrounding green belt, work for removing it from the trees and roads is in full swing. 

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note
The victim, Sachin Kashyap, was rushed to a district hospital, from where he was taken to a specialised medical centre in Bareilly.  His condition is said to be critical. SHO of Sadar Bazar, Amit Pandey said an FIR has been registered against the accused, Nadeem Khan, 27 and his brother Naeem, 29.

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note