Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

Civilian shot dead by terrorists in J&K

Civilian shot dead by terrorists in J&K
Police said the terrorists fired indiscriminately upon a civilian identified as Javeed Ahmad Malik near his house at Larugam Tral, Awantipora. He was shifted to a hospital for treatment where he succumbed to his injuries.

Civilian shot dead by terrorists in J&K

Suspected of Khalistan links, UP man commits suicide

Suspected of Khalistan links, UP man commits suicide
Hastinapur police station sub inspector A.K. Singh said that Paramjit had left for the dairy farm on Tuesday night and hours later, he was found lying unconscious, possibly by passers-by.

Suspected of Khalistan links, UP man commits suicide

Priyanka slams Yogi, says 'your property can also be confiscated'

Priyanka slams Yogi, says 'your property can also be confiscated'
Congress general secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Thursday slammed Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath saying people have the right to their views and abusing power to intimidate them is a "heinous crime".

Priyanka slams Yogi, says 'your property can also be confiscated'

Everything will be remembered: Rahul on deaths due to O2 shortage

Everything will be remembered: Rahul on deaths due to O2 shortage
The government has faced flak after it informed the Rajya Sabha that no deaths were reported due to lack of oxygen during the second wave.

Everything will be remembered: Rahul on deaths due to O2 shortage

Pegasus story is concocted, fabricated and evidence less: BJP

Pegasus story is concocted, fabricated and evidence less: BJP
Referring to alleged reports of snooping of prominent citizens using Israeli Pegasus spyware, senior BJP leader and union minister Meenakshi Lekhi on Thursday said that these kinds of stories are concocted, fabricated and have no evidence.

Pegasus story is concocted, fabricated and evidence less: BJP

Farmers begin 'Kisan Sansad' at Jantar Mantar

Farmers begin 'Kisan Sansad' at Jantar Mantar
On Wednesday, Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal gave permission to the Jantar Mantar demonstration on the condition that a maximum of 200 protesters will be allowed till August 9 between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Farmers begin 'Kisan Sansad' at Jantar Mantar