Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis
Getting around Stanley Park since the pandemic struck is a new experience for Tom Green. Roads that weave through the urban forest in Vancouver have been closed to traffic, making space for residents to get fresh air at a physical distance.

Experts warn of increasing car use, loss of transit routes post-crisis

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case
The Punjab Police on Wednesday evening charged former state DGP Sumedh Singh Saini and six other police officials at Mohali in a 29-year-old case of alleged kidnapping, torture, and “stage-managed elimination” of Balwant Singh Multani, son of IAS officer Darshan Singh Multani. In the FIR filed, Palwinder Singh Multani, brother of the alleged victim, has named six other police officials, including DSP Baldev Singh Saini, Inspector Satvir Singh, SI Har Sahai Sharma, SI Jagir Singh, SI Anoop Singh and ASI Kuldip Singh.

Former Punjab DGP Saini denied entry into Himachal over an alleged kidnapping case

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees
British Columbia is unveiling a digital registration system for evacuees as the province prepares for the upcoming wildfire season while coping with physical distancing restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the new platform will allow communities to provide emergency support services, including evacuee self-registration and referrals.

New digital registration ensures faster, safer assistance for B.C. evacuees

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th
Indians stranded abroad because of the coronavirus pandemic will be brought back home as of May 7th but it will be a gradual process. Aircraft and naval ships will be arranged for their travel, the government said in a statement, adding the service will be offered on "payment-basis". Only those asymptomatic will be allowed onboard.

Indians stranded abroad to be brought back on May 7th

Two terrorists and an associate have been killed in an encounter in Awantipora, located in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.

Two terrorists and an associate have been killed in an encounter in Awantipora, located in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.
Two terrorists and an associate have been killed in an encounter that began on Saturday morning in Awantipora, a city in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district. As of this writing, a search operation was still ongoing.    

Two terrorists and an associate have been killed in an encounter in Awantipora, located in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.

India surpasses over 23,000 COVID-19 cases and over 700 dead

India surpasses over 23,000 COVID-19 cases and over 700 dead
In India more than 23,000 people have, or have had, the new coronavirus, central health ministry data showed on Friday. More than 700 of those infected have died -- a dreadful total, but a relatively low number compared to fatalities in other countries facing outbreaks. India is currently under an extended lockdown til May 3rd that was imposed last month to contain the spread of the virus, which is mainly transmitted through respiratory droplets.     

India surpasses over 23,000 COVID-19 cases and over 700 dead