Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

A 76-year-old man from Kalburgi is India’s first casualty due to coronavirus, announced Karnataka state government Thursday. This is reportedly India’s first fatality due to COVID-19.    

Coronavirus Outbreak: 76-year-old Man Is India’s First Fatality Due To COVID-19

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

In an unprecedented lockdown for Covid-19, India on Wednesday notified cancellation of all non-official visas to curb incoming traffic and advised against all non-essential travel abroad which also curbs outgoing travel.

India Under COVID-19 Lockdown

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder

Investigative agencies have received a video of the killing of Intelligence Bureau staffer Ankit Sharma from the people of the locality and soon the name of his killer will be revealed, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.

Hope To Find Clue From Footages: Amit Shah On Intel Staff's Murder

I Sent NSA Ajit Doval To Riot Hit Areas: Amit Shah

The NSA had visited the riot-hit areas of Jafrabad and Maujpur in northeast Delhi where he interacted with the locals on the streets.

I Sent NSA Ajit Doval To Riot Hit Areas: Amit Shah

Coronavirus: India Suspends All Tourist Visas And E-Visas For Travellers From 13 March To 15 April

India on March 11 suspended all tourist visas till April 15 in a bid to contain spread of the novel coronavirus, according to an official statement.

Coronavirus: India Suspends All Tourist Visas And E-Visas For Travellers From 13 March To 15 April

Jyotiraditya Scindia Quits Congress With 22 MLAs

He is expected to join the BJP sometime this week, days after criticising the party over violence in Delhi, and is likely to be rewarded with a Rajya Sabha seat.    

Jyotiraditya Scindia Quits Congress With 22 MLAs