Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

74% Delhi MLAs Millionaires, Three-Fifth Face Criminal Cases

74% Delhi MLAs Millionaires, Three-Fifth Face Criminal Cases
According to ADR, 45 Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) legislators of the 62, and seven of the eight Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLAs had declared more than Rs 1 crore assets while filing their nomination papers.

74% Delhi MLAs Millionaires, Three-Fifth Face Criminal Cases

Separatist Kashmiri Hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani's Health Critical, Valley On High Alert

Security has been put on high alert in the Valley amid rumours about the critical health condition of separatist Kashmiri hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani.    

Separatist Kashmiri Hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani's Health Critical, Valley On High Alert

AAP Workers Set Eyes On 2022 Punjab Poll

AAP Workers Set Eyes On 2022 Punjab Poll
The party workers danced to the beats of dhol, distributed sweets and raised ‘Arvind Kejriwal Zindabad’ slogans.

AAP Workers Set Eyes On 2022 Punjab Poll

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over
Tata Sons Chairman Emeritus Ratan Tata has defended a woman on Instagram after she got criticised for calling him 'Chhotu'.

Ratan Tata Gets Called Chhotu On Instagram. His Million-dollar Reply Wins Internet Over

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank
The 51-year-old bureaucrat-turned-politician almost replicated the AAP’s fairy-tale victory of 2015 by riding on his government’s development agenda, and in the process emerged as a key leader in the national political landscape.

Historic Victory: Delhi Chooses Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party For Next 5 Years, BJP Trounced, Cong Draws Blank

Nearly 45,000 Indian Pilgrims Visited Kartarpur Since It Opened

A total of 44,951 pilgrims travelled from November 9, 2019 to January 31, 2020 via Kartarpur corridor to pay obeisance at Sri Kartarpur Sahib, central government said in a written reply to a question.  

Nearly 45,000 Indian Pilgrims Visited Kartarpur Since It Opened