Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

‘Pathological Compulsion’ To Comment On Internal Affairs: India On Pak’s Ayodhya Remarks

Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi objected to the timing of the Ayodhya verdict, which coincided with the inauguration of the Kartarpur corridor, saying he was "deeply saddened" at the "insensitivity" shown at such a joyous occasion.

‘Pathological Compulsion’ To Comment On Internal Affairs: India On Pak’s Ayodhya Remarks

‘You’ve Won Hearts’: Navjot Singh Sidhu To Imran Khan After Kartarpur Inauguration

Sidhu also thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi for making the project happen, in spite of political differences, adding that he was sending 'Munnabhai MBBS style hug' to the PM.  

‘You’ve Won Hearts’: Navjot Singh Sidhu To Imran Khan After Kartarpur Inauguration

Bridging 72 Years With 9-Km Road: PM Modi, Imran Khan Throw Open Kartarpur Corridor

"I thank Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan Niazi. He understood India's feelings on the Kartarpur corridor issue, gave respect (to it) and, worked keeping in view those feelings," PM Modi said.  

Bridging 72 Years With 9-Km Road: PM Modi, Imran Khan Throw Open Kartarpur Corridor

US-Based NRI Chiranjeev Kathuria Offers Help In Generating Power From Stubble In Punjab

To address the problem of the stubble burning, an India born NRI businessman has proposed to set up 1,000 MW biomass energy generating plants in his home state Punjab.  

US-Based NRI Chiranjeev Kathuria Offers Help In Generating Power From Stubble In Punjab

Pune Housemaid’s Visiting Card Goes Viral, Gets Job Offers From Across Country

Geeta Kale, a domestic help in Pune, has been flooded with job offers from all corners of India. The reason - a business card that one of her employers, Dhanashree Shinde, designed for her.

Pune Housemaid’s Visiting Card Goes Viral, Gets Job Offers From Across Country

Amarinder Singh Alleges ISI Hand Behind 'Referendum 2020' Mobile App, Demands Removal from Google Playstore

Netizens took to Twitter on Friday to urge Google to take down the controversial '2020 Sikh Referendum app' immediately.

Amarinder Singh Alleges ISI Hand Behind 'Referendum 2020' Mobile App, Demands Removal from Google Playstore