Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

Darpan News Desk IANS, 13 May, 2022 10:24 AM
  • Delhi building fire claims 16 lives, more casualties feared

New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) As many as 16 people have been killed in a major fire that broke out in a three-storey building at the Mundka area of the national capital on Friday afternoon, a Fire Department official said.

"So far we have recovered 16 bodies and the number of casualties is likely to go up," Delhi Fire Service chief Atul Garg told IANS.

However, Delhi Police officials said that as of now, 14 people have been killed in the inferno while 12 people have sustained injuries. According to the police, around 60-70 persons have been rescued from the building.

The top Fire Department official informed that they received a call about the incident at 4.40 p.m. from a building located near Pillar No. 544 in Mundka in west Delhi, after which 10 fire engines were immediately pressed into service.

As per visuals released from the spot, thick fumes of black smoke along with a massive blaze could be seen billowing out of the ill-fated three-storey building. The firemen used the fire truck ladder to reach out to the maximum possible height to spray water over the blaze.

The inferno is yet to be brought under control at the time of filing of this report.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer said that they also received a call about the incident at 4.45 p.m. following which the local police rushed to the spot.

"Police officers broke the windows of the building and rescued many inmates who were rushed to the hospital," the officer said.

Based on preliminary inquiry, the police said it was a three-storey commercial building used for providing office space to companies. The fire first broke out on the first floor of the building which houses a CCTV and router manufacturing company.

The police have detained the owner of the company and his antecedents are being examined. The rescue operation is still going on.

MORE India ARTICLES

Economic Slowdown ‘Very Worrisome’, New Set Of Reforms Needed: Raghuram Rajan

Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has called slowdown in the economy “very worrisome” and said the government needs to fix the immediate problems in power and non-bank financial sectors and come out with a new set of reforms to energise private sector to invest.

Economic Slowdown ‘Very Worrisome’, New Set Of Reforms Needed: Raghuram Rajan

With Kashmir Under Lockdown, Ispr Running Geelani's Twitter Handle?

Despite the communications lockdown in Jammu and Kashmir since August 4 night, the Twitter handle of Hurriyat hawk Syed Ali Shah Geelani has apparently been active, putting out anti-India tweets regularly.

With Kashmir Under Lockdown, Ispr Running Geelani's Twitter Handle?

Delhi Govt Rapped For Opposing Technology To Fight Pollution

Delhi Govt Rapped For Opposing Technology To Fight Pollution
"Don't you want our children to live in good quality air?" the Supreme Court asked on Monday, pulling up the Delhi government for its opposition to the use of remote sensing technology to help identify polluting vehicles.

Delhi Govt Rapped For Opposing Technology To Fight Pollution

Flood-Hit Punjab Declares Natural Calamity, Capt Amarinder Earmarks Rs 100 Cr For Flood Relief

The Punjab government on Monday declared the current flood situation in the affected villages of the state as a natural calamity, with Chief Minister Amarinder Singh directing the Financial Commissioner Revenue to issue the necessary notification at the earliest.

Flood-Hit Punjab Declares Natural Calamity, Capt Amarinder Earmarks Rs 100 Cr For Flood Relief

Relocation Of Shillong Sikhs: Supreme Court Notice To Meghalaya Govt

A three-judge Bench headed by Justice NV Ramana on Monday issued notice to the Meghalaya government after senior counsel PS Patwalia questioned the order passed by the state high court in a review petition filed by the state government.

Relocation Of Shillong Sikhs: Supreme Court Notice To Meghalaya Govt

Kejriwal Trolled For Forgetting Ganesha Photo On Ganesh Chaturthi Hoardings

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal was the butt of Twitter trolls on Monday after the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) government put up large hoardings across the capital wishing the people on Ganesh Chaturthi with a large picture of Kejriwal on them but sans any image of Lord Ganesha.

Kejriwal Trolled For Forgetting Ganesha Photo On Ganesh Chaturthi Hoardings