Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Gangster tries to flee from police custody, shot dead in Amritsar

Gangster tries to flee from police custody, shot dead in Amritsar
A gangster was shot dead on Wednesday by the Punjab Police in Amritsar as he tried to flee after opening fire at the police after taking an advantage of dense fog. An encounter between Amritpal Singh Amri and the police occurred in the Jandiala Guru area.  

Gangster tries to flee from police custody, shot dead in Amritsar

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will provide a compensation of Rs 15 lakh to the next of kin of a woman passenger, who died following a mishap at the Inderlok Metro station last week, an official said. The 35-year-old woman succumbed to injuries at a hospital on December 16, which she sustained when her saree and jacket got stuck in the door of a Delhi Metro train following which she got dragged by the train for several metres.

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case
In his first public response to allegations of an Indian national conspiring to murder a Khalistani separatist in New York, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the issue will be examined, but a few incidents cannot derail ties between India and the US. He underlined that security and counter-terrorism cooperation has been a key component of the ties between India and the US.  

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons
A 28-year-old man was arrested for duping over 900 families of the missing persons after downloading information from the ZIPNet (Zonal Integrated Police Network) and other such government websites, a Delhi Police official said on Wednesday. The accused was identified as Shyamsunder Chauhan, a resident of Ranipur Mau, Uttar Pradesh and a Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) graduate from Indore.  

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country
The Union Health Ministry on Wednesday said that 21 cases of the new variant JN.1 have been reported from across the country. The source said that 19 cases of the new coronavirus variant has been reported from Goa while one each from Maharashtra and Kerala.  

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub
According to officials, the hub will be well-connected with an Interstate Bus Terminus (ISBT), the upcoming phase-four line of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), the proposed Passenger Transport Centre (PTC) and the proposed Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) station, including the station for Automated Passenger Mover (APM) near the GMR Aerocity.

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub