Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

India needs to increase solar capacity by 36% every year: Ember

India needs to increase solar capacity by 36% every year: Ember
India needs to increase annual solar capacity additions by 36 per cent every year to meet its 2027 target, a new analysis by global energy think tank Ember said on Tuesday. Solar and wind could drive two-third of power generation growth by 2032 if India is on track to deliver its electricity plan, based on its analysis. 

India needs to increase solar capacity by 36% every year: Ember

Delhi Police raid over 30 locations linked to NewsClick; seize phones, laptops of journos

Delhi Police raid over 30 locations linked to NewsClick; seize phones, laptops of journos
Delhi Police’s Special Cell on Tuesday raided more than 30 locations in the national capital which included the premises of NewsClick, as well as the residences of its journalists, after the media outlet was accused of receiving funds from China. However, no arrests have been made so far.  

Delhi Police raid over 30 locations linked to NewsClick; seize phones, laptops of journos

Delhi excise policy case: SC to hear Manish Sisodia's bail plea on Wednesday

Delhi excise policy case: SC to hear Manish Sisodia's bail plea on Wednesday
The apex court adjourned the bail plea hearing after a joint request by lawyers from both sides on September 15. Sisodia has two special leave petitions listed for Wednesday against the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED). He is facing a money laundering probe in connection with the alleged Delhi excise policy scam.

Delhi excise policy case: SC to hear Manish Sisodia's bail plea on Wednesday

Two prime suspects in Rs 18 crore crypto fraud case in Himachal arrested

Two prime suspects in Rs 18 crore crypto fraud case in Himachal arrested
Two prime accused in the crypto currency fraud of approximate Rs 18 crore have been arrested by the Special Investigating Team of Himachal Pradesh Police, officials investigating the scam said on Tuesday. The SIT headed by Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Abhishek Dullar comprising 13 members was constituted on September 26 to investigate cases related to crypto currency.

Two prime suspects in Rs 18 crore crypto fraud case in Himachal arrested

Meta purged over 19 mn bad pieces of content on FB, Insta in India in August

Meta purged over 19 mn bad pieces of content on FB, Insta in India in August
Meta said that it took down over 14 million pieces of content across 13 policies for Facebook and over five million pieces of content across 12 policies for Instagram in India in August. Between August 1-31, Facebook received 25,049 reports through the Indian grievance mechanism, and said that it provided tools for users to resolve their issues in 2,701 cases.  

Meta purged over 19 mn bad pieces of content on FB, Insta in India in August

India’s first woman astronaut Kalpana Chawla’s father passes away at 90

India’s first woman astronaut Kalpana Chawla’s father passes away at 90
 India’s first woman astronaut late Kalpana Chawla’s father Banarasi Lal Chawla passed away at a private hospital in Haryana’s Karnal on Tuesday. He was 90. Chawla was undergoing treatment for the past few days. His body will be donated to the Kalpana Chawla Medical College in Karana, said the family.

India’s first woman astronaut Kalpana Chawla’s father passes away at 90