Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Cong seen to lose 11% vote share in Punjab, AAP to gain 15% to form govt

Cong seen to lose 11% vote share in Punjab, AAP to gain 15% to form govt
In 2017, the Aam Aadmi Party had got around 23 per cent votes but the projections for this election is 39 per cent, while Congress seems to have lost around 11 per cent votes, against in last election's over 38 per cent now, to around 26 per cent and may see its tally come down from 77 seats to 25 seats.

Cong seen to lose 11% vote share in Punjab, AAP to gain 15% to form govt

Ukraine crisis: Indian national shot at in Kiev, stable

Ukraine crisis: Indian national shot at in Kiev, stable
Harjot's brother Prabhjot Singh, who resides in Delhi's Chhattarpur, told IANS: "The last conversation I had with Harjot was on February 26 at 9 p.m. I haven't spoken to him since then. On March 2, at night, he contacted the family and informed them about his injuries.

Ukraine crisis: Indian national shot at in Kiev, stable

225 students returned to Punjab from Ukraine so far: Chief Secretary

225 students returned to Punjab from Ukraine so far: Chief Secretary
While directing officials to ensure safe return of the remaining students and other persons stuck in Ukraine, he said the state government is sparing no effort to help the distressed families in this hour of crisis.

225 students returned to Punjab from Ukraine so far: Chief Secretary

Russia says buses ready to take out Indians, India says not without ceasefire

Russia says buses ready to take out Indians, India says not without ceasefire
Over 700 Indian students are stuck in Sumy and they are running out of basic necessities like food and water and they have been urging the Indian government to get them evacuated from there.

Russia says buses ready to take out Indians, India says not without ceasefire

Ukraine crisis: Over 7K Indians to be evacuated in next 2 days, says Centre

Ukraine crisis: Over 7K Indians to be evacuated in next 2 days, says Centre
Over 7,400 Indian nationals are expected to be evacuated under the 'Operation Ganga' in the next two days, the government said on Thursday. The Centre has initiated an airlift operation to evacuate Indians, who have found their way to the neighbouring countries of war-torn Ukraine.

Ukraine crisis: Over 7K Indians to be evacuated in next 2 days, says Centre

India warns stranded nationals of aerial attacks, tells them to learn few Russian phrases

India warns stranded nationals of aerial attacks, tells them to learn few Russian phrases
This advisory, prepared by the Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, warns about aerial raids, missile attacks, artillery shelling, small arms and gunfire, grenade explosions and 'Molotov cocktails', including by local people/militia.

India warns stranded nationals of aerial attacks, tells them to learn few Russian phrases