Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Rupee rises for 6th day in a row

Rupee rises for 6th day in a row
The Indian rupee recovered early losses to end higher for a sixth straight day on Wednesday as expectations rose about more foreign funds flowing in. The rupee settled at 83.0350 vis-a-vis the U.S. dollar, its highest closing level since December 15 up from 83.1150 in the previous session. The Indian currency opened lower and fell to an intraday low of 83.18 earlier in the day, before rising again to an over three-week high of 82.98 in the session.

Rupee rises for 6th day in a row

India to become world’s 3rd largest economy by 2027-28: Sitharaman

India to become world’s 3rd largest economy by 2027-28: Sitharaman
India will become the world’s third-largest economy by 2027-28, with its GDP surpassing $5 trillion during that period, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said on Wednesday at the Vibrant Gujarat Global Summit. The estimate that India will be at least a $30 trillion economy by 2047 is a conservative estimate, the Finance Minister said.  

India to become world’s 3rd largest economy by 2027-28: Sitharaman

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Wednesday inaugurated and laid foundation stones of 29 national highway projects worth Rs 4,000 crore in Punjab. The projects included the Ladhowal bypass in Ludhiana, the six-lane flyover and two-lane road overbridge in Ludhiana, the four laning of the Jalandhar-Kapurthala section and three bridges on the Jalandhar-Makhu road.

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection
A Delhi court on Wednesday extended the judicial custody of AAP MP Sanjay Singh and former Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia until January 20. Singh, who had filed his nomination for the Rajya Sabha elections, has been directed by the court to be taken to the Returning Officer to collect the election certificate on January 12 under appropriate security.

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused
Divya Pahuja, 27, was allegedly shot dead on January 2 by Abhijeet Singh, the owner of Hotel City Point, where she was staying. According to the police, Divya and Abhijeet were in a relationship and the latter killed the woman in a fit of rage after she refused to delete some of his objectionable photos from her mobile phone. It is being supected that Balraj and Ravi -- Abhijeet's friends dumped Divya's lifeless body somewhere in Punjab.

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school
In a statement here, Majithia said in case, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann did not dismiss the Education Minister immediately, it would be surmised that he was siding with the perpetrator behind the heinous act instead of the victims and their parents.

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school