Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision
The Samajwadi Party has slammed the Yogi Adityanath government's decision to set up liquor outlets at railway platforms, Metro stations and cruises. Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav said the move was "immoral" and against public interest. The state cabinet on Tuesday had given nod to setting up of liquor outlets at railway stations on the lines of similar outlets operating at airports.  

Liquor outlets at railway, metro stations: Akhilesh slams decision

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused
The accused individuals -- Sagar Sharma, Manoranjan D., Neelam Azad and Amol Shinde -- were produced before the Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Hardeep Kaur of Patiala House Courts. The court extended their custody on an application moved by police. The four accused were produced before court on expiry of their previously granted seven-day police custody after they were arrested on December 13.

Parliament security breach: Delhi court extends till Jan 5 police custody of four accused

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM
The Delhi High Court on Thursday asked the Election Commission to promptly decide, preferably within eight weeks, on the notice issued to Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, noting that the alleged statements are "not in good taste". This notice is in relation to Gandhi's alleged "pickpocket" comment directed at Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a speech last month.

Delhi HC urges swift decision from EC on Rahul Gandhi's 'pickpocket' jibe at PM

Mumbai NCB busts India-Australia drug ring, seizes large cache of narcotics

Mumbai NCB busts India-Australia drug ring, seizes large cache of narcotics
The Narcotics Control Bureau's Mumbai Zonal Unit has busted an India-Australia drug syndicate and effected seizures of a large quantity of narcotics valued at over Rs 3 crore, besides nabbing 3 persons, officials said here on Thursday. In a strategic investigation based on previous probes, the NCB-MZU has laid bare the international network of operatives involved in smuggling of pharmaceutical drugs from India to Australia.

Mumbai NCB busts India-Australia drug ring, seizes large cache of narcotics

Air quality dips to 'severe' levels at several sites in Delhi

Air quality dips to 'severe' levels at several sites in Delhi
The air quality in several areas of the national capital continues to remain under the "severe" category as per data from several AQI stations across the city on Thursday. Meanwhile, the India Meteorological Department said that the maximum temperature was recorded at 23 degrees Celsius, a notch above the seasonal average and predicted that the minimum temperature is likely to dip to five degree Celsius during the night.  

Air quality dips to 'severe' levels at several sites in Delhi

Delhi govt to introduce 'Anywhere Registration' policy for properties

Delhi govt to introduce 'Anywhere Registration' policy for properties
The Revenue Department of Delhi government has decided to introduce the 'Anywhere Registration' policy for properties in the national capital, an official said on Thursday. According to the policy, if people want to register their properties, they can go to any Sub-Registrar Office in Delhi. Now, individuals will not be restricted to a specific Sub-Registrar Office for property registration.

Delhi govt to introduce 'Anywhere Registration' policy for properties