Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar on Monday met the families of eight former Indian Navy officers who are detained in Qatar and have been given death sentences on allegations of spying. The eight Indian officers have been under detention since August last year by Qatar on allegations of spying for Israel.

Jaishankar meets families of 8 detained Indians, says govt attaches highest importance to case

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster
The collision between two trains in Andhra Pradesh’s Vizianagaram district appears to be a repeat of the ghastly train disaster in Odisha nearly five months ago. Both the collisions involved two passenger trains and a goods train. At least 14 passengers were killed and over 50 injured in Sunday’s collision between Visakhapatnam-Palasa passenger and Visakhapatnam-Rayagada passenger near Kantakapalli junction in Kothavalasa ‘mandal’ (block).

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun
In a tragic incident, five students and a driver of a school van were killed in an accident in Uttar Pradesh's Badaun district on Monday. The accident took place when the school bus collided with another school van on the Nabiganj road, killing the van driver and a student on the spot.

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza
In her editorial piece published in a leading daily on Monday, Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) chairperson Sonia Gandhi condemned India abstaining from voting in the UN for a ceasefire in Gaza, saying the grand old party's stand on the issue of Israel and Palestine has been consistent over the years.  

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death
A day after a man was killed while performing stunts, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann on Monday announced a complete ban on stunts involving tractors and other agricultural implements in the state. The Chief Minister expressed deep anguish and sorrow over a tragic incident in which a person lost his life during one such dangerous display on a tractor.

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed former Delhi Deputy CM Manish Sisodia's bail plea in the excise policy case, saying among other charges, the "transfer of Rs 338 crore is tentatively established" In their ruling, the bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and S.V.N. Bhatti referred to the mandate established by the apex court's judgement in Vijay Madanlal Choudhary case that upheld the Enforcement Directorate's powers under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial