Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi
The accused identified as Yogesh alias Gogha, was previously involved in 16 criminal cases, including attempt to murder, robbery, dacoity,criminal intimidation and the Arms Act, registered in Delhi and its peripherals.

Member of Lawrence Bishnoi gang nabbed after exchange of fire in Delhi

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife
The same single-judge bench had on May 11 directed the jail superintendent to provide Sisodia with a video conferencing facility to speak to his wife every alternate day between 3-4 p.m. as per prison rules, till the disposal of the bail plea.

Sisodia withdraws interim bail pleas filed before Delhi HC to help his ailing wife

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held
The mishap occurred at around 4:45 p.m. when the bus going from Nehru Place to Maharani Bagh lost control and rammed into multiple vehicles, causing the death of one person besides leaving five others injured, two of them critically. The identity of the deceased man is yet to be ascertained.

One dead, five injured after DTC bus loses control in Delhi; driver held

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony
Cheema also took on both the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) and the Congress which have decided to boycott the inauguration ceremony. He said AAP was talking about the issue being one of respect for the President.

Sukhbir Badal to attend new Parliament inauguration ceremony

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament
Slamming the Union government for demeaning the position of President of the country by not inviting her to the inaugural ceremony of new Parliament, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Wednesday said he would not attend the function slated to be held on May 28. 

Punjab CM to boycott inaugural ceremony of new Parliament

Rajya Sabha MP Sahney helps bring 15 stranded Indian women back from Oman

Rajya Sabha MP Sahney helps bring 15 stranded Indian women back from Oman
Eight more women were reunited with their families hailing from Punjab on Wednesday after they landed at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi from Oman. Seven women were rescued last week under the initiative #Mission Hope, taking the total figures to 15. 

Rajya Sabha MP Sahney helps bring 15 stranded Indian women back from Oman