Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal
Asserting large-scale corruption in the Punjab excise policy, Majithia said like in the case of Delhi, the entire liquor trade had been handed over to two companies and their profit margin had been doubled to facilitate a quid pro quo.

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport
The sources said that after a flight from Sharjah arrived at the airport, a passenger alerted a Customs officer about a flip cover being left behind on a trolley. Upon checking, the officer recovered 10 gold biscuits, wrapped in the cover.

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh
The incident took place on Tuesday at Tikrapara area of Raipur. The deceased have been identified as Aslam Ahmed and Kahkasha Bano, the couple got married on February 19 and their wedding reception was scheduled to be held on Tuesday.

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters
Lawrence Bishnoi was placed under arrest by the NIA on November 24, 2022 in connection with a case related to conspiracy hatched by terrorists, gangsters and drug smugglers' syndicate to create terror among the public. His arrest was made when he was lodged in the Bhatinda Jail.

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries
A 28 year-old woman, who was set on fire by her live-in partner in Rohini area, succumbed to injuries during the treatment at a hospital in the national capital, said an official on Tuesday. Police said that they have detained the live-in partner, identified as Mohit.

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24
The court had on February 7 taken cognisance of the charge sheet filed by the Delhi Police against Poonawala. On January 24, the police had filed the charge sheet in the case which contains over 6,000 pages, and the court had extended his custody for 14 days.

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24