Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'
The order came after arguments at length before the district court of Mansa on the plea of the parents of Moosewala, who were successful in securing an ex-parte ad-interim order against Salim Sadruddin Moledina Merchant and Sulaiman Sadruddin Moledina Merchant, popularly known as Salim-Sulaiman.

Punjab court stays release of Moosewala's song 'Jaandi Vaar'

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt
Asserting that the dairy sector had been strengthened in Punjab over the last few decades with the aim of increasing farm income through allied activities, Badal said then Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal even entrusted this responsibility to the state farmers' commission formed by him.

Release Rs 300 cr package for dairy farmers, Sukhbir to Punjab govt

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30
The allegations against Sisodia is that liquor businessmen were allegedly given exemption of Rs 30 crore. The licence holders were allegedly given extension according to their own will. The policy rules were made by violating excise rules.

CBI to examine Manish Sisodia's bank locker on Aug 30

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust
According to the information received from the authority, the capacity of a tanker is about 10,000 litres. In such a situation, 45 lakh litres of water has been used so far. Work is still going on at many places. As thick layer of dust had accumulated all around, especially in the surrounding green belt, work for removing it from the trees and roads is in full swing. 

Post twin towers demolition, 45 lakh litres water used to remove dust

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note
The victim, Sachin Kashyap, was rushed to a district hospital, from where he was taken to a specialised medical centre in Bareilly.  His condition is said to be critical. SHO of Sadar Bazar, Amit Pandey said an FIR has been registered against the accused, Nadeem Khan, 27 and his brother Naeem, 29.

Pizza delivery man shot for refusing to accept torn note

Punjab Cabinet gives nod to new food grains labour policy

Punjab Cabinet gives nod to new food grains labour policy
The revised transportation policy mandates, for the first time ever, the installation of vehicle tracking systems in every vehicle used for transportation of food grains procured by the government.

Punjab Cabinet gives nod to new food grains labour policy