Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

Darpan News Desk IANS, 24 Jan, 2025 12:32 PM
  • Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi, in a letter to the Election Commission on Friday, accused a conspiracy to physically harm AAP National Convener Arvind Kejriwal. She criticized Delhi Police for lapses in security and called for the reinstatement of his Punjab Police protection.

Addressing a press conference, CM Atishi alleged lapses by Delhi Police in protecting Kejriwal, who has a Z-plus security cover, and blamed BJP workers for attacking the former CM and his vehicle during campaigning on several occasions since October.

“Delhi residents love Kejriwal and they will not pardon the BJP for these acts. Every attack on Kejriwal adds to the love of the public for him,” she said, seeking restoration of Punjab Police security for Kejriwal.

She said BJP workers and the Delhi Police are working together to cause harm to Kejriwal. “Not a single person has been arrested for attacks on Kejriwal. No action has been taken against any Delhi Police personnel,” she said, seeking an audit of Kejriwal’s security arrangement and threat to him.

Atishi mentioned several instances of attacks and breach of security of Kejriwal including October 24 in Vikaspuri, November 30 in Malviya Nagar, January 18 in New Delhi constituency, and in Hari Nagar on Thursday.

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann said police from his state provided security to Kejriwal as there was credible input of threat to Kejriwal’s life in Punjab and Delhi.

“A Z-plus security protectee needs to be provided security wherever he goes in the country,” he said.

CM Mann said that the AAP has no faith in Delhi Police and their personnel are helping the BJP candidates.

Mann said we have approached the ECI seeking “free and fair” ground for contesting the election. “We have said that we are not satisfied with the security being provided to Kejriwal. Since the security set up in Delhi is stretched for protecting the city ahead of R-Day, we want permission to provide our security,” he said.

The Punjab Chief Minister also dismissed allegations of rival parties in Delhi that vehicles from his state were being used in the AAP campaign in the city. “They are losing the elections and their hatred for Punjabis is visible in such remarks. Are all vehicles in Delhi with number plates of other states carrying goons?” he asked.

Earlier, Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav said on Thursday that following instructions from the EC and the Delhi Police, they have withdrawn components of the Punjab Police deployed for the security of the former Chief Minister.

"From time to time, we get reports of threats to Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and Arvind Kejriwal and we share them with agencies concerned. Following the directions of the Delhi police and the Election Commission today, we withdrew the component of the Punjab police in the security of Kejriwal ji," Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav told the media in Patiala.

Delhi Assembly elections will be held on February 5 and the results will be declared on February 8.

MORE India ARTICLES

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM
Earlier on Tuesday, the Congress supporters clashed with the police as the administration did not permit Rahul Gandhi's 'Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra' to enter Guwahati citing the possibility of heavy traffic congestion in the city. Following that, Assam Chief Minister directed the state DGP to file a police complaint against Rahul Gandhi for “provoking the crowd” during his Yatra.

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today
Uttar Pradesh will get uninterrupted power supply for 24 hours on Monday in view of the programmes scheduled for the Pran Pratishtha ceremony at the Ram temple in Ayodhya. According to orders issued by UPPCL chairman Ashish Kumar Goel, “Over the next 24 hours, all regions of the state will enjoy power without any interruptions in line with the chief minister’s directives.”

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi
Gandhi said, “This is strange because Rahul Gandhi cannot go there while everyone else can visit the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardeva. Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple and when?” He and other senior Congress leaders and supporters staged a dharna at Haibargaon on the way to Sankardev's birthplace in Batadrava, while Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi and Batadrava MLA Sibamoni Bora went to the birthplace to settle the dispute.  

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi

Half-naked bodies of Uzbek woman, Delhi man found in Hry resort

Half-naked bodies of Uzbek woman, Delhi man found in Hry resort
Half-naked bodies of a woman from Uzbekistan and a man from Delhi were found at the 'Mera Gaon Mera Desh' resort in Haryana’s Sonipat district, the police said on Monday. The bodies were found in a booked room where the duo had checked in on Sunday night. In Monday morning, on seeing the bodies from a window, the resort staff informed the police.

Half-naked bodies of Uzbek woman, Delhi man found in Hry resort

Gurugram to get projects worth Rs 191 crore on Jan 24

Gurugram to get projects worth Rs 191 crore on Jan 24
Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar will virtually inaugurate and lay the foundation stone of 42 projects worth more than Rs 191 crore for Gurugram on January 24. The event will be attended by Union Minister of State and Gurugram MP Rao Inderjit Singh, Haryana Energy Minister Ranjit Singh Chautala, and local MLAs.  

Gurugram to get projects worth Rs 191 crore on Jan 24

Modi has a chance to put his stamp on foreign policy, will he take it?

Modi has a chance to put his stamp on foreign policy, will he take it?
India will name an ambassador to the US shortly to fill the vacancy left open by the retirement of Taranjit Singh Sandhu, the incumbent. And it will likely be another officer of the Indian Foreign Service as has become the practice in the last two decades. It doesn’t have to be. A case can be made, in principle, for widening the search for Sandhu’s replacement to beyond the foreign service cadre. It’s not as strange as it may seem, especially to Generation Z.

Modi has a chance to put his stamp on foreign policy, will he take it?