Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

Darpan News Desk IANS, 24 Jan, 2025 12:32 PM
  • Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi, in a letter to the Election Commission on Friday, accused a conspiracy to physically harm AAP National Convener Arvind Kejriwal. She criticized Delhi Police for lapses in security and called for the reinstatement of his Punjab Police protection.

Addressing a press conference, CM Atishi alleged lapses by Delhi Police in protecting Kejriwal, who has a Z-plus security cover, and blamed BJP workers for attacking the former CM and his vehicle during campaigning on several occasions since October.

“Delhi residents love Kejriwal and they will not pardon the BJP for these acts. Every attack on Kejriwal adds to the love of the public for him,” she said, seeking restoration of Punjab Police security for Kejriwal.

She said BJP workers and the Delhi Police are working together to cause harm to Kejriwal. “Not a single person has been arrested for attacks on Kejriwal. No action has been taken against any Delhi Police personnel,” she said, seeking an audit of Kejriwal’s security arrangement and threat to him.

Atishi mentioned several instances of attacks and breach of security of Kejriwal including October 24 in Vikaspuri, November 30 in Malviya Nagar, January 18 in New Delhi constituency, and in Hari Nagar on Thursday.

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann said police from his state provided security to Kejriwal as there was credible input of threat to Kejriwal’s life in Punjab and Delhi.

“A Z-plus security protectee needs to be provided security wherever he goes in the country,” he said.

CM Mann said that the AAP has no faith in Delhi Police and their personnel are helping the BJP candidates.

Mann said we have approached the ECI seeking “free and fair” ground for contesting the election. “We have said that we are not satisfied with the security being provided to Kejriwal. Since the security set up in Delhi is stretched for protecting the city ahead of R-Day, we want permission to provide our security,” he said.

The Punjab Chief Minister also dismissed allegations of rival parties in Delhi that vehicles from his state were being used in the AAP campaign in the city. “They are losing the elections and their hatred for Punjabis is visible in such remarks. Are all vehicles in Delhi with number plates of other states carrying goons?” he asked.

Earlier, Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav said on Thursday that following instructions from the EC and the Delhi Police, they have withdrawn components of the Punjab Police deployed for the security of the former Chief Minister.

"From time to time, we get reports of threats to Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and Arvind Kejriwal and we share them with agencies concerned. Following the directions of the Delhi police and the Election Commission today, we withdrew the component of the Punjab police in the security of Kejriwal ji," Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav told the media in Patiala.

Delhi Assembly elections will be held on February 5 and the results will be declared on February 8.

MORE India ARTICLES

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year
Over 400 individuals have been arrested this year for touting at Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport, more than double compared to last year, a Delhi Police official said. Persistent issues of inconvenience and harassment to passengers have prompted authorities to take decisive action against unauthorised solicitation, the official added.

Over 400 arrested for touting at Delhi's IGI airport this year

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat
According to Sohana Police (formerly, Mohali) official Mukesh Sinha, the accused Shailesh Mehta, 71, was nabbed from his purported hideout at an old-age home in Ahmedabad following a FIR registered after a complaint lodged by Punjab businessman Viresh Singhal.

Multi-crore rupees scam: Punjab cops nab fugitive Mumbai fraudster's dad from Gujarat

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9
Reaching here late on Friday, Shah will fly down to Gadchiroli the next morning to inaugurate a direct reduced iron plan of Lloyds Metals & Energy Ltd, which will be the first big project coming up in the Maoist hinterland. He is also likely to perform the ground-breaking ceremony of other LMEL projects as part of the company’s Rs 20,000-crore integrated steel manufacturing unit in Kondseri on a 1000-acre complex.

Amit Shah to inaugurate steel plant in Maoist-infested Gadchiroli on Dec 9

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi
The Ministry said that the meeting was co-chaired from the Indian side by Brigadier Vivek Narang, Deputy Assistant Chief of Integrated Staff IDC (A), HQ IDS, and Col (GS) Christian Schmidt, Director, Department International Cooperation Armed Forces Office from the German side. The meeting was conducted in a friendly, warm, and cordial atmosphere.  

India-Germany military cooperation meeting held in New Delhi

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS
Drawing attention to the BJP's pledge to forge a "New India" by "Amrit Kaal 2022", Chadha underscored the imminent arrival of 2024 and urged the government to make strides in fulfilling its commitments. He highlighted 25 promises made by the BJP that remain unfulfilled till date.

Raghav Chadha highlights 25 'unfulfilled promises' of BJP in RS

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram
The Congress, which governed Mizoram for more than 22 years in different terms since 1984 under the Chief Ministership of party stalwart Lal Thanhawla, performed disastrously in the state assembly elections, result of which was announced on Monday. The Congress fielded candidates in all 40 seats but its nominee C. Ngunlianchunga is the only winner in Lawngtlai West seat by a margin of 432 votes.

After ruling for 22 years, Congress almost wiped out in Mizoram