Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

Darpan News Desk IANS, 24 Jan, 2025 12:32 PM
  • Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi, in a letter to the Election Commission on Friday, accused a conspiracy to physically harm AAP National Convener Arvind Kejriwal. She criticized Delhi Police for lapses in security and called for the reinstatement of his Punjab Police protection.

Addressing a press conference, CM Atishi alleged lapses by Delhi Police in protecting Kejriwal, who has a Z-plus security cover, and blamed BJP workers for attacking the former CM and his vehicle during campaigning on several occasions since October.

“Delhi residents love Kejriwal and they will not pardon the BJP for these acts. Every attack on Kejriwal adds to the love of the public for him,” she said, seeking restoration of Punjab Police security for Kejriwal.

She said BJP workers and the Delhi Police are working together to cause harm to Kejriwal. “Not a single person has been arrested for attacks on Kejriwal. No action has been taken against any Delhi Police personnel,” she said, seeking an audit of Kejriwal’s security arrangement and threat to him.

Atishi mentioned several instances of attacks and breach of security of Kejriwal including October 24 in Vikaspuri, November 30 in Malviya Nagar, January 18 in New Delhi constituency, and in Hari Nagar on Thursday.

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann said police from his state provided security to Kejriwal as there was credible input of threat to Kejriwal’s life in Punjab and Delhi.

“A Z-plus security protectee needs to be provided security wherever he goes in the country,” he said.

CM Mann said that the AAP has no faith in Delhi Police and their personnel are helping the BJP candidates.

Mann said we have approached the ECI seeking “free and fair” ground for contesting the election. “We have said that we are not satisfied with the security being provided to Kejriwal. Since the security set up in Delhi is stretched for protecting the city ahead of R-Day, we want permission to provide our security,” he said.

The Punjab Chief Minister also dismissed allegations of rival parties in Delhi that vehicles from his state were being used in the AAP campaign in the city. “They are losing the elections and their hatred for Punjabis is visible in such remarks. Are all vehicles in Delhi with number plates of other states carrying goons?” he asked.

Earlier, Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav said on Thursday that following instructions from the EC and the Delhi Police, they have withdrawn components of the Punjab Police deployed for the security of the former Chief Minister.

"From time to time, we get reports of threats to Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and Arvind Kejriwal and we share them with agencies concerned. Following the directions of the Delhi police and the Election Commission today, we withdrew the component of the Punjab police in the security of Kejriwal ji," Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav told the media in Patiala.

Delhi Assembly elections will be held on February 5 and the results will be declared on February 8.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held
A Delhi Police official said that one of the buyers was a liquor mafia group led by Sumit Anangpur from Faridabad, which purchased stolen luxury cars worth around Rs 20 lakh each, for just Rs 3-4 lakh and used them to hoodwink the agencies to transport foreign liquor to Bihar.

Delhi: Gang involved in stealing luxury cars busted, four held

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Is India seeing another Covid wave?
Last week, the country had seen a surge with 18,450 fresh cases, a substantial rise from the previous week's 8,781 cases. The Omicron variant XBB.1.16 is believed to be behind the sudden surge of the cases.

Is India seeing another Covid wave?

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted
As many as two dozen fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire and the operation lasted more than six hours. More than two dozen fire tenders are on the spot, trying to douse the inferno.

Major fire breaks out in Kanpur, 500 shops gutted

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday
Officials of the central jail have not confirmed his release prematurely. Sidhu on May 20, 2022, surrendered before a court in Patiala in a 1988 road rage case that had led to the death of a 65-year-old man.

Navjot Singh Sidhu likely to be released from jail on Saturday

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy
Out of total 36 people who died in the heart wrenching incident, the youngest victim was a two-year-old boy, Hitansh, while the eldest one was an 80-year-old woman identified as Jayvanti Devi, according to police. Most of the victims were women.

Indore temple tragedy: Death toll rises to 36, youngest victim 2 yr-old boy

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre
The Punjab Cabinet led by Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann on Friday gave nod for hiking the compensation due to unseasonal rains by 25 per cent per acre. A decision to this effect was taken by the Council of Ministers at its meeting held here.

Punjab hikes wheat crop relief by 25% per acre