Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

Darpan News Desk IANS, 24 Jan, 2025 12:32 PM
  • Delhi polls: CM Atishi asks EC to restore Punjab Police protection for Kejriwal

New Delhi, Jan 24 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi, in a letter to the Election Commission on Friday, accused a conspiracy to physically harm AAP National Convener Arvind Kejriwal. She criticized Delhi Police for lapses in security and called for the reinstatement of his Punjab Police protection.

Addressing a press conference, CM Atishi alleged lapses by Delhi Police in protecting Kejriwal, who has a Z-plus security cover, and blamed BJP workers for attacking the former CM and his vehicle during campaigning on several occasions since October.

“Delhi residents love Kejriwal and they will not pardon the BJP for these acts. Every attack on Kejriwal adds to the love of the public for him,” she said, seeking restoration of Punjab Police security for Kejriwal.

She said BJP workers and the Delhi Police are working together to cause harm to Kejriwal. “Not a single person has been arrested for attacks on Kejriwal. No action has been taken against any Delhi Police personnel,” she said, seeking an audit of Kejriwal’s security arrangement and threat to him.

Atishi mentioned several instances of attacks and breach of security of Kejriwal including October 24 in Vikaspuri, November 30 in Malviya Nagar, January 18 in New Delhi constituency, and in Hari Nagar on Thursday.

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann said police from his state provided security to Kejriwal as there was credible input of threat to Kejriwal’s life in Punjab and Delhi.

“A Z-plus security protectee needs to be provided security wherever he goes in the country,” he said.

CM Mann said that the AAP has no faith in Delhi Police and their personnel are helping the BJP candidates.

Mann said we have approached the ECI seeking “free and fair” ground for contesting the election. “We have said that we are not satisfied with the security being provided to Kejriwal. Since the security set up in Delhi is stretched for protecting the city ahead of R-Day, we want permission to provide our security,” he said.

The Punjab Chief Minister also dismissed allegations of rival parties in Delhi that vehicles from his state were being used in the AAP campaign in the city. “They are losing the elections and their hatred for Punjabis is visible in such remarks. Are all vehicles in Delhi with number plates of other states carrying goons?” he asked.

Earlier, Punjab DGP Gaurav Yadav said on Thursday that following instructions from the EC and the Delhi Police, they have withdrawn components of the Punjab Police deployed for the security of the former Chief Minister.

"From time to time, we get reports of threats to Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann and Arvind Kejriwal and we share them with agencies concerned. Following the directions of the Delhi police and the Election Commission today, we withdrew the component of the Punjab police in the security of Kejriwal ji," Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav told the media in Patiala.

Delhi Assembly elections will be held on February 5 and the results will be declared on February 8.

MORE India ARTICLES

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case
A court here on Tuesday extended the judicial custody of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal till August 27 in connection with the alleged excise policy scam. Kejriwal was produced before Special Judge Kaveri Baweja of the Rouse Avenue Court through video conferencing from Tihar Jail upon the expiry of his previously granted custody.

Arvind Kejriwal's judicial custody extended till Aug 27 in excise policy case

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has consistently demonstrated visionary leadership throughout his career. From his early days as a young leader and RSS worker to his tenure as Gujarat Chief Minister and now as Prime Minister, he has consistently emphasised the importance of adhering to traditions while maintaining optimism about the future. His enduring belief in these values is seen as a key driver of India’s growth-oriented trajectory in the 21st century.

Embracing tradition & optimism: PM Modi's blueprint for India's future

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21
All the educational institutions will remain closed in seven districts of Rajasthan on August 21 in the wake of the Bharat Bandh call given by the Aarakshan Bachao Sangharsh Samiti. The shutdown will be witnessed in the districts of Jaipur, Alwar, Dausa, Sawai Madhopur, Deeg, Jaisalmer and Bharatpur.

Educational institutions to remain shut in parts of Rajasthan on Aug 21

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case
Bihar Police in Muzaffarpur have arrested three more accused, including the primary suspect Sanjay Rai in connection with the gang rape and murder of a minor Dalit girl. The district police had filed a First Information Report (FIR) against six individuals based on a complaint filed by the victim’s mother at the Paroo police station of the district.

Bihar Police arrest three accused in Dalit girl gang rape case

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case
Over 70 Padma-awardee doctors on Sunday wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi seeking his personal intervention in the case connected to the rape and murder of a junior doctor at the R.G. Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata last week, triggering nationwide protests by the medical fraternity.

Padma-awardee doctors seek PM's intervention in RG Kar case

Kolkata doctor rape-murder case: CBI sleuths grill Sandip Ghosh for 4th consecutive day

Kolkata doctor rape-murder case: CBI sleuths grill Sandip Ghosh for 4th consecutive day
Former principal of state-run R.G. Kar Medical College & Hospital Dr Sandip Ghosh, on Monday, appeared at the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)'s Salt Lake office on the outskirts of Kolkata in the ghastly rape and murder of a woman doctor on the hospital premises earlier this month. This is the fourth consecutive day that Ghosh has appeared for interrogation at the central agency office. He faced marathon questioning for 13 to 14 hours each day since last Friday.

Kolkata doctor rape-murder case: CBI sleuths grill Sandip Ghosh for 4th consecutive day