Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
India

Demolition stopped, situation under control: Delhi Police

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Apr, 2022 10:05 AM
  • Demolition stopped, situation under control: Delhi Police

New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Delhi Police Special Commissioner of Police Dependra Pathak said that the situation at the Jahangirpuri area of Delhi, where violence broke out four days ago, is completely normal and under control in the wake of demolition drive carried out by the Municipal Corporation.

"The demolition process has now been stopped and the law and order situation is under control. We're maintaining peace and tranquillity in the area," the Special Commissioner said while speaking to the reporters.

He also said that the police in large numbers were there to only provide protection to the civic agency while they carried out the demolition process. "We have adequate deployment and we are also in touch with the citizens of the area to maintain peace," the Special CP said.

The anti-encroachment drive began in the violence-hit Jahangirpuri area at around 10.40 a.m. in the morning. The first demolition was of a tobacconist's shop and then the JCB proceeded further to demolish another juice-cum-tobbacco vendor next to it. A double storey scrap dealer's shop was also razed to the ground.

Suddenly at around 11.10 a.m., the news of the Supreme Court ordering status quo over the demolition drive broke out and the bulldozers were halted to further carry out the demolition.

But in just 20 minutes, at 11.30 the JCBs again started the drive and a 2-storey juice corner was demolished at first after a brief halt.

The owner of the shop kept screaming and weeping, asking for help from the mediapersons, however, within minutes his shop was also razed to the ground. "My shop has been here since 1977. Why are they not checking my papers? Why is no official coming to talk to me. My shop was alloted by the Delhi Development Authority (DDA)," asked Ganesh Kumar Gupta, owner of the Juice corner.

The people residing in the vicinity of the demolition drive could be seen, watching the whole process from the rooftops and the windows of their houses. While speaking to IANS, several among them expressed their resentment over the government's strict action which came just four days after the severe communal clashes.

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab hikes honorarium of 53,000 Anganwadi workers, others

Punjab hikes honorarium of 53,000 Anganwadi workers, others
Addressing a gathering of Anganwadi workers in Morinda town, the Chief Minister declared that from now onwards the monthly emoluments of the Anganwadi workers stand increased from Rs 8,100 to Rs 9,500, mini-Anganwadi workers from Rs 5,300 to Rs 6,300 and helpers from Rs 4,050 to Rs 5,100.

Punjab hikes honorarium of 53,000 Anganwadi workers, others

Delhi govt imposes weekend curfew amid rise in Covid cases

Delhi govt imposes weekend curfew amid rise in Covid cases
Amid a surge in Coronavirus cases, the Delhi government on Tuesday decided to impose a weekend curfew from January 8. During weekdays, the metros and buses will run at full seating capacity with strict adherence to Covid-19 guidelines.

Delhi govt imposes weekend curfew amid rise in Covid cases

Punjab offers to bear expenditure for Ravidas temple in Delhi

Punjab offers to bear expenditure for Ravidas temple in Delhi
The centuries-old Ravidas temple in Tughlakabad was demolished by the DDA on August 10 in 2019 following a Supreme Court order. Since then, a series of protests have been organised by Dalit organisations.

Punjab offers to bear expenditure for Ravidas temple in Delhi

Sindhutai Sapkal, 'Mom to thousands of orphans', passes away

Sindhutai Sapkal, 'Mom to thousands of orphans', passes away
Veteran social worker Sindhutai Sapkal - known as the 'Mother to thousands of orphans' - passed away following a cardiac arrest, a family friend said. She was 73, and breathed her last at Galaxy Hospital where she was under treatment for almost a month.

Sindhutai Sapkal, 'Mom to thousands of orphans', passes away

Another killing for sacrilege in Punjab, now in Kapurthala

Another killing for sacrilege in Punjab, now in Kapurthala
A man was beaten to death for allegedly disrespecting 'Nishan Sahib' (the Sikh religious flag) at a gurdwara in village Nizampur in Kapurthala district on Sunday. Residents of the village claimed that the man disrespected the Nishan Sahib and tried to run away from the spot.

Another killing for sacrilege in Punjab, now in Kapurthala

Sacrilege bid at Golden Temple will be probed thoroughly: Channi

Sacrilege bid at Golden Temple will be probed thoroughly: Channi
Talking to the media here after paying obeisance at Sri Darbar Sahib, Channi, who accompanied by Deputy CM Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa, described it as the most heinous act, which has not only hurt religious sentiments but also tormented all, and should be condemned with the harshest possible words by one and all.

Sacrilege bid at Golden Temple will be probed thoroughly: Channi