Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Feb, 2025 04:46 PM
  • ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Mumbai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) on Wednesday said it has filed a Prosecution Complaint (PC) against 19 broking entities and their directors for allegedly colluding with officials of the National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) in a money laundering case.

The complaint was submitted on January 28 before the Special Court (PMLA) in Mumbai under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002. The court took cognizance of the matter on February 3.

The investigation was initiated based on an FIR registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, ED said.

According to ED, its probe revealed that these broking firms, after registering with NSEL, misled their clients by making false assurances about the exchange and promoting illegal "pair trade" contracts, which were not permitted.

In collusion with these brokers, NSEL allegedly created a system that bypassed the requirement for warehouse receipts or physical commodities, knowingly facilitating unlawful trades. The brokers, in a criminal conspiracy with NSEL, lured investors onto the platform with promises of hefty returns, ultimately defrauding them, the financial probe agency said.

The illicit brokerage earnings were further funneled into business operations, leading to the layering and integration of proceeds of crime (PoC) to make them appear as legitimate funds.

The ED has already attached illicit brokerage earnings amounting to Rs 34.74 crore under PMLA, 2002. This attachment has been confirmed by the Ld. Adjudicating Authority, PMLA, New Delhi.

During the course of the investigation, properties worth Rs 3,288.76 crore have been attached through 32 Provisional Attachment Orders, ED said.

Earlier, six Prosecution Complaints had been filed in the case against 94 accused individuals.

Further investigation is underway, ED said.

MORE India ARTICLES

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister
Known as 'Samudrayaan’, the initiative of the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will be a crewed expedition to a depth of 6,000 m in the central Indian Ocean onboard Matsya6000 -- a manned submersible vehicle developed indigenously.

India to have 1st human in space, deep sea by 2025: Union Minister

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will pay an official visit to Russia and Austria on July 8-10, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) announced on Thursday. Prime Minister Modi will arrive in Moscow on July 8 at the invitation of the Russian President Vladimir Putin to hold the 22nd India-Russia Annual Summit.

PM Modi to visit Russia and Austria starting July 8

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister
To save groundwater, the Punjab government has set a target to adopt direct seeding of rice (DSR) over five lakh acres, Agriculture Minister Gurmeet Singh Khudian said here on Thursday. He said over two lakh acres have already been sown using the DSR technique, which was 1.72 lakh acres higher than the last year.

Punjab aims to adopt direct seeding of rice over five lakh acres: Minister

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday submitted a chargesheet at a special court here in connection with the blast at Bhupatinagar in East Midnapore district of West Bengal in December 2022 in which three persons were killed. A total of six persons have been named on the 35-page chargesheet.

NIA submits chargesheet in 2022 Bengal blast case

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52
The flood situation in Assam has further worsened with six fresh deaths reported on Thursday, taking the toll to 52 while over 21.13 lakh people have been affected in 29 of the state's 35 districts. An Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) official said that on Thursday, four persons died in the Golaghat district and one each died in Dibrugarh and Charaideo districts.

Flood situation worsens in Assam, death toll rises to 52

Two held in Punjab for trafficking people to Cambodia

Two held in Punjab for trafficking people to Cambodia
The Punjab Police’s Cyber Crime Division has arrested two travel agents for trafficking people from the state to Cambodia and other South East Asian countries, Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav said here on Wednesday. The accused have been identified as Amarjeet Singh, owner of Visa Palace Immigration in Mohali, and his accomplice Gurjodh Singh.

Two held in Punjab for trafficking people to Cambodia