Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Feb, 2025 04:46 PM
  • ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Mumbai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) on Wednesday said it has filed a Prosecution Complaint (PC) against 19 broking entities and their directors for allegedly colluding with officials of the National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) in a money laundering case.

The complaint was submitted on January 28 before the Special Court (PMLA) in Mumbai under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002. The court took cognizance of the matter on February 3.

The investigation was initiated based on an FIR registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, ED said.

According to ED, its probe revealed that these broking firms, after registering with NSEL, misled their clients by making false assurances about the exchange and promoting illegal "pair trade" contracts, which were not permitted.

In collusion with these brokers, NSEL allegedly created a system that bypassed the requirement for warehouse receipts or physical commodities, knowingly facilitating unlawful trades. The brokers, in a criminal conspiracy with NSEL, lured investors onto the platform with promises of hefty returns, ultimately defrauding them, the financial probe agency said.

The illicit brokerage earnings were further funneled into business operations, leading to the layering and integration of proceeds of crime (PoC) to make them appear as legitimate funds.

The ED has already attached illicit brokerage earnings amounting to Rs 34.74 crore under PMLA, 2002. This attachment has been confirmed by the Ld. Adjudicating Authority, PMLA, New Delhi.

During the course of the investigation, properties worth Rs 3,288.76 crore have been attached through 32 Provisional Attachment Orders, ED said.

Earlier, six Prosecution Complaints had been filed in the case against 94 accused individuals.

Further investigation is underway, ED said.

MORE India ARTICLES

In Gujarat, PM Modi's no-holds-barred attack on Cong, INDIA bloc over Pak's love for 'Shehzada' & 'vote jihad'

In Gujarat, PM Modi's no-holds-barred attack on Cong, INDIA bloc over Pak's love for 'Shehzada' & 'vote jihad'
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on a whirlwind poll campaign in Gujarat on Thursday, launched a blistering attack on the Congress as well as INDIA bloc and accused them of 'taking tacit support' of Pakistan for 'furthering' their politics at the cost of the national interest.

In Gujarat, PM Modi's no-holds-barred attack on Cong, INDIA bloc over Pak's love for 'Shehzada' & 'vote jihad'

Bengal Governor bars entry of police, state Finance Minister into Raj Bhavan

Bengal Governor bars entry of police, state Finance Minister into Raj Bhavan
West Bengal Governor C.V. Ananda Bose issued an order on Thursday night banning the entry of the police and Minister of State for Finance, Chandrima Bhattacharya, into the Raj Bhavan.

Bengal Governor bars entry of police, state Finance Minister into Raj Bhavan

'Engineered Narrative', Bengal Governor reacts to molestation charge

'Engineered Narrative', Bengal Governor reacts to molestation charge
Hours after a temporary female staff at the Raj Bhavan filed a written complaint with the police accusing West Bengal Governor C.V. Bose of 'outraging her modesty', the latter denied the charges on Thursday night, calling the accusation an attempt to gain electoral benefits.

'Engineered Narrative', Bengal Governor reacts to molestation charge

Bomb threat at schools: No cause for alarm, it seems to be a hoax call, says MHA

Bomb threat at schools: No cause for alarm, it seems to be a hoax call, says MHA
Hours after several schools in Delhi and its peripherals received bomb threats, the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said that there is no cause for alarm. “It seems to be a hoax call. Delhi Police and security agencies are following standard protocols and taking appropriate measures,” said the MHA in a statement. 

Bomb threat at schools: No cause for alarm, it seems to be a hoax call, says MHA

Salman Khan firing case: Accused gun supplier found hanging in Mumbai police lockup, declared dead

Salman Khan firing case: Accused gun supplier found hanging in Mumbai police lockup, declared dead
In a sensational development, Anuj Thapan, one of the prime accused in the firing at Salman Khan’s home, allegedly committed suicide in a Mumbai Police lockup on Wednesday, officials said. The incident took place shortly before noon at the Crime Branch lockup where the accused Thapan was lodged for investigations after he was sent to police custody till May 8.  

Salman Khan firing case: Accused gun supplier found hanging in Mumbai police lockup, declared dead

Punjab Police conducts search operations at identified drug hotspots

Punjab Police conducts search operations at identified drug hotspots
Punjab Police on Wednesday conducted a state-level Cordon and Search Operation (CASO) at identified drug hotspots and vulnerable areas in all 28 police districts. The operation was conducted on directions of Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. simultaneously across the state.

Punjab Police conducts search operations at identified drug hotspots