Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Feb, 2025 04:46 PM
  • ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Mumbai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) on Wednesday said it has filed a Prosecution Complaint (PC) against 19 broking entities and their directors for allegedly colluding with officials of the National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) in a money laundering case.

The complaint was submitted on January 28 before the Special Court (PMLA) in Mumbai under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002. The court took cognizance of the matter on February 3.

The investigation was initiated based on an FIR registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, ED said.

According to ED, its probe revealed that these broking firms, after registering with NSEL, misled their clients by making false assurances about the exchange and promoting illegal "pair trade" contracts, which were not permitted.

In collusion with these brokers, NSEL allegedly created a system that bypassed the requirement for warehouse receipts or physical commodities, knowingly facilitating unlawful trades. The brokers, in a criminal conspiracy with NSEL, lured investors onto the platform with promises of hefty returns, ultimately defrauding them, the financial probe agency said.

The illicit brokerage earnings were further funneled into business operations, leading to the layering and integration of proceeds of crime (PoC) to make them appear as legitimate funds.

The ED has already attached illicit brokerage earnings amounting to Rs 34.74 crore under PMLA, 2002. This attachment has been confirmed by the Ld. Adjudicating Authority, PMLA, New Delhi.

During the course of the investigation, properties worth Rs 3,288.76 crore have been attached through 32 Provisional Attachment Orders, ED said.

Earlier, six Prosecution Complaints had been filed in the case against 94 accused individuals.

Further investigation is underway, ED said.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi court grants bail to Bajrang Punia in criminal defamation case

Delhi court grants bail to Bajrang Punia in criminal defamation case
A Delhi court on Thursday granted bail to wrestler Bajrang Punia in a criminal defamation complaint filed against him by sports coach Naresh Dahiya.

Delhi court grants bail to Bajrang Punia in criminal defamation case

Delhi govt to bear all expenses of artificial rain to tackle air pollution: Officials

Delhi govt to bear all expenses of artificial rain to tackle air pollution: Officials
The Delhi government has decided to bear the full expense of artificial rain as a measure to combat the severe air pollution in the city, officials said on Thursday. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has issued an order directing the Chief Secretary to represent the government's standpoint in front of the Supreme Court on Friday.  

Delhi govt to bear all expenses of artificial rain to tackle air pollution: Officials

15 injured in LPG cylinder explosion in Bihar's East Champaran

15 injured in LPG cylinder explosion in Bihar's East Champaran
At least 15 persons sustained burn injuries after an LPG cylinder exploded in Bihar's East Champaran district, authorities said. The incident took place on Thursday evening at Pakhnahiya village under Palanwa police station in the district.

15 injured in LPG cylinder explosion in Bihar's East Champaran

NIA raids 8 locations in UP, Uttarakhand and Punjab in drugs seizure case

NIA raids 8 locations in UP, Uttarakhand and Punjab in drugs seizure case
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday said that it carried out searches at eight locations in Punjab, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh in a heroin seizure case. An NIA spokesperson here said that the agency sleuths carried out searches at the residences and offices of individuals involved in this case.

NIA raids 8 locations in UP, Uttarakhand and Punjab in drugs seizure case

'Bharat Jodo Yatra 2.0 likely to begin in December, in hybrid mode'

'Bharat Jodo Yatra 2.0 likely to begin in December, in hybrid mode'
Amid demands for the second leg of Bharat Jodo Yatra, Congress sources on Tuesday indicated that the party is considering this and it could commence any time between December 2023 and February 2024, if finalised. A party source indicated that the discussions are on for the second leg of the yatra led by party leader Rahul Gandhi and it might begin in December first week and end before February end next year.

'Bharat Jodo Yatra 2.0 likely to begin in December, in hybrid mode'

Internet services suspended in Pulwama

Internet services suspended in Pulwama
 Internet services have been suspended from Wampora and Hunipora areas of south Kashmir's Pulwama district due to security reasons until November 8, officials said.

Internet services suspended in Pulwama