Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Feb, 2025 04:46 PM
  • ED initiates legal action against 19 broking firms in money laundering case

Mumbai, Feb 5 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) on Wednesday said it has filed a Prosecution Complaint (PC) against 19 broking entities and their directors for allegedly colluding with officials of the National Spot Exchange Limited (NSEL) in a money laundering case.

The complaint was submitted on January 28 before the Special Court (PMLA) in Mumbai under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002. The court took cognizance of the matter on February 3.

The investigation was initiated based on an FIR registered under various sections of the Indian Penal Code, 1860, ED said.

According to ED, its probe revealed that these broking firms, after registering with NSEL, misled their clients by making false assurances about the exchange and promoting illegal "pair trade" contracts, which were not permitted.

In collusion with these brokers, NSEL allegedly created a system that bypassed the requirement for warehouse receipts or physical commodities, knowingly facilitating unlawful trades. The brokers, in a criminal conspiracy with NSEL, lured investors onto the platform with promises of hefty returns, ultimately defrauding them, the financial probe agency said.

The illicit brokerage earnings were further funneled into business operations, leading to the layering and integration of proceeds of crime (PoC) to make them appear as legitimate funds.

The ED has already attached illicit brokerage earnings amounting to Rs 34.74 crore under PMLA, 2002. This attachment has been confirmed by the Ld. Adjudicating Authority, PMLA, New Delhi.

During the course of the investigation, properties worth Rs 3,288.76 crore have been attached through 32 Provisional Attachment Orders, ED said.

Earlier, six Prosecution Complaints had been filed in the case against 94 accused individuals.

Further investigation is underway, ED said.

MORE India ARTICLES

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster
The collision between two trains in Andhra Pradesh’s Vizianagaram district appears to be a repeat of the ghastly train disaster in Odisha nearly five months ago. Both the collisions involved two passenger trains and a goods train. At least 14 passengers were killed and over 50 injured in Sunday’s collision between Visakhapatnam-Palasa passenger and Visakhapatnam-Rayagada passenger near Kantakapalli junction in Kothavalasa ‘mandal’ (block).

Trains collision in Andhra a near repeat of Odisha rail disaster

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun
In a tragic incident, five students and a driver of a school van were killed in an accident in Uttar Pradesh's Badaun district on Monday. The accident took place when the school bus collided with another school van on the Nabiganj road, killing the van driver and a student on the spot.

Five students, driver killed as bus-van collide in UP’s Badaun

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza
In her editorial piece published in a leading daily on Monday, Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) chairperson Sonia Gandhi condemned India abstaining from voting in the UN for a ceasefire in Gaza, saying the grand old party's stand on the issue of Israel and Palestine has been consistent over the years.  

Sonia Gandhi condemns India abstaining from voting for ceasefire in Gaza

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death
A day after a man was killed while performing stunts, Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann on Monday announced a complete ban on stunts involving tractors and other agricultural implements in the state. The Chief Minister expressed deep anguish and sorrow over a tragic incident in which a person lost his life during one such dangerous display on a tractor.

Punjab Chief Minister bans stunts on tractors day after man's death

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial
The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed former Delhi Deputy CM Manish Sisodia's bail plea in the excise policy case, saying among other charges, the "transfer of Rs 338 crore is tentatively established" In their ruling, the bench of Justices Sanjiv Khanna and S.V.N. Bhatti referred to the mandate established by the apex court's judgement in Vijay Madanlal Choudhary case that upheld the Enforcement Directorate's powers under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).

'Rs 338 cr transfer tentatively established': SC denies bail to Manish Sisodia, gives timeframe for trial

PM to distribute appointment letters to 51,000 new recruits virtually tomorrow

PM to distribute appointment letters to 51,000 new recruits virtually tomorrow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will distribute more than 51,000 appointment letters to newly inducted recruits via video conferencing on Saturday. He will also address the appointees on the occasion. The Rozgar Mela will be held at 37 locations across the country.

PM to distribute appointment letters to 51,000 new recruits virtually tomorrow